any 10 watt tube amps out there?

looks like he's going for the laney cub12. i wzas hoping for the vc15, but it's a bit out his price range.

anyway, hope it gets here by the weekend gigs!

KindaFuzzy

Maybe you could find an old gibson or something that uses 6bm8 tubes, I built one once with those guys and it fit nicely between a champ and an ac15 as far as clean volume goes.

vibrostrat43

I've never played one, but from the demos I've heard the Allen Chihuahua is a real cool 10 watt for what I like. Still you should get what works for you. It's a more Fender blackface version type of amp.

billymayday

I've got a Cub 12R (which is 15 watts btw). It's a good amp for the price (I don't gig with it), but 2 points worth noting.

1. the stock speaker isn't that great (but not awful), and I've been planning to stick a greenback or something in it for ages but still haven't got around to it.

2. I find the tone controls do very little to the tone, so make sure he tries that aspect out before he buys (or has an eq pedal perhaps).

I don't find the reverb too bad, and it has an effects loop which I like, and of course you can plug it into an external cab as is.

hth

I'd check out a Headstrong Lil King Reverb ('65 Princeton Reverb clone). 12 watts, and more importantly, 12 inch speaker. Awesome trem and reverb, and best of all, still rather light weight. Good clean headroom for an amp that size, but can also be pushed beautifully into breakup - especially with a boost.

I have one that I love, and to me it's a perfect cross-section of manageable volume and "giggability", provided that your volume requirements are on par with your OP.

jcat5503

I say check the 3 Monkeys Sock Monkey out! It'll be shipping out soon they say. 10 inch speaker and 12 watts in a small package

VONG

Just buy whatever stack you want...and use an attenuator! I have a Weber Mass and Dr Z Brake Lite. They work really good.

GregoryL

You mentioned portability as a main factor. You can't go wrong with a Fender Pro Junior.

They sound great, they're cheap, they're readily available used, and they're small.

losergeek

Pro Jr is smaller - same watts, but really if he's just looking for smaller, quieter and cheaper then this is probably what he wants.

Trending Topics