Any 50s-Style Les Paul Custom (all Mahogany) fans out there?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Catfish, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

These are great guitars that very few seem to know about.

The only guitar that I regret having sold was a 1956 Les Paul Custom that I owned shortly in 2000, before making the asinine decision to sell. Anyway, I recently rectified the error by purchasing a 1972 Reissue of the 1954 LP Custom. A/Bing this guitar against a 1970 Les Paul Custom that I have long-loved (a totally different guitar BTW, for those who don't know - the original 1950s Customs have a mahogany top, whereas the post-1968 Customs have maple tops), highlighted to me just how different they are from maple top LPs (99.999% of those in existence probably) and how great they are.

The combination of the Mahogany top with the single coil pickups is just about perfect to my ears for Chicago Blues, Blues Rock and Stonesy-type rock tones. Goldtops with p-90s can be very cool, but I think the mahogany top sounds way better with single-coil pickups - almost perfect transparency and balance, but very ballsy.

Anybody else checked out these guitars? The number of 1950s Customs and 1970s reissues of the guitar has to be very, very small. Gibson has done a remake of the guitar for awhile now, but they are vastly inferior to the real mccoys and the 70s reissues I've played - which probably accounts for why so few know about these guitars. That said, is there anyone else out there?

ZAmbrose likes this.
  2. JiMB

JiMB Member

I owned a 55 Custom for a couple years. Great sounding guitar. I sold it because I prefer Fender's 25.5" scale.

3. HHB

HHB Member

I'm currently trying to turn my 68' reissue custom into an all mahog ( thru trade of coarse LOL ) I LOVE all mahogany and single coils!!!

4. shoe

shoe Member

In a similar vein, I loved my PRS McCarty Soapbar standard in all mahogany (no maple top). I will own one again some day.....

5. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

My main guitar is an all mahogany r7.

[​IMG]

6. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

I have one being built for me right now though not a gibson. I speced out the guitar with a small builder and they have done a wonderful job. It is an all mahogany single cut from gauge guitars ( www.gaugeguitars.com ) with voodoo p90's and an oxblood finish. it can be seen as is right now on the website. I can't wait until it is done.

7. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I had one of the all-mahogany R7s like in the pic posted above. It was a WONDERFUL guitar ... for about 4 months. Then the neck warped :( It went back, I put the $$ into something else, and never saw it again.

--chiba

8. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I just picked up one of the faded vintage all-mahogany LP Studios from Guitar Center. Amazing guitar, very light and resonant. Not as dark as I would have thought. I'm loving it.

[​IMG]

9. bryan83

bryan83 Member

I Love Customs, the mahogany, ebony board, and humbuckers give it a darker and smooth tone. Heres my baby, an R7
    [​IMG]

10. phoenix

phoenix Member

11. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

Being a Robert Fripp fan I'd love a late '50s spec Les Paul Custom.

12. GuitarG

GuitarG Member

[​IMG]
    I love the tone of my '57 RI LP Custom.
    Modifications:
    Tim White Pickups (Bridge and Neck)
    Seymour Duncan Seth Lover pickup (Middle)
    Pigtail Music steel bridge studs
    RSGuitarworks electronics (wired as a standard 2 pickup LP with a pull pot on the neck pickup tone control to activate the middle pickup)

13. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

14. omboy

omboy Member

My Orville Custom (all mahogany). I think mahogany + ebony board makes a real nice sonic combo, for either singles or humbuckers.[​IMG]

15. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

So, can someone fill me in here... If I wanted to get a dual humbucker Custom in ALL mahogany, and being I can't afford a 50's one, what years would I be looking for? None of the Norlins I assume...???

16. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

17. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

All Mahogany Gibsons are where it's at for my tastes. My R0 LP Special DC is all mahogany with a rosewood fretboard and the P90s work well with it. I was always afraid a maple top would be too bright and I'm glad I stayed away because I think it's perfect.

My other Gibby is an SG Custom and it's got the all mahogany, ebony fretboard that the LP Custom has. Right now I'm loving the combination with the humbuckers on this one. It's smooth, well balanced, and has a sweet singing lead tone.

18. Catfish

Catfish Member

That's correct. Norlin never reissued the dual humbucker, all-mahogany 50s style LP Custom (they did however, as mentioned, reissue its predecessor with single coil pickups).

At some point in the 1990s, Gibson reissued the guitar you're looking for in its Historic collection. That said, I once owned one of these reissues you're looking for, and I thought it was a crappy guitar. That said, while my experience is that the Historics are overrated and ridiculously overpriced junk, maybe you could find a good one if you're willing to try hard enough.

19. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

20. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

AHhhhhhhhhhhh, nothing like threads from the past :AOK

What's the deal with these?

They list them as 1 P90 & 1 alnico pickup.....which is which & what do they sound like?

Do they mean 1 is ceramic & one magnetic?

Alnico 2 or 5 ???

I'm trying to decide whether I want an R6 Goldtop or an R4 Custom w/P90s.

Nice wood posted here fellas :BEER