Any AC30 users here?

Ed Reed

I bought a 2002 Korg TBX with Blues just about the same time the CC's came out. To be honest, I love it. I run the channels jumped and use an OCD and a Maxon SD9 in front of it and an Echo Park for some delays.

Anyway, what you got and how you liken it?

Have you done any mods? What effects do you use?

procos

Gold Supporting Member
I own an original 1962 JMI Vox that was brought up to specs by Plexi Palace. They just changed a few caps and filters and added the top boost. It is the best amp I have ever played in my life. I love it to death. I use a COT 50 and Hot Cake for extra gain but was thinking about an OCD. How does the OCD work with the AC30 you own?

Chuck

908SSP

I was playing my AC30TBX tonight it does sound great. I don't use anything but an attenuator so I can run the volume knob up around 3/4 which will give a nice over drive and tube saturation without tearing my head off. Still cleans up with the volume knob...nice.

sabbath90

i've got a CC and love it. i totally regret selling my korg RI. i may have to get a hayseed for the ef86 sound. love that sound!

Hipster Dofus

Originally posted by procos
I own an original 1962 JMI Vox that was brought up to specs by Plexi Palace. They just changed a few caps and filters and added the top boost. It is the best amp I have ever played in my life. I love it to death. I use a COT 50 and Hot Cake for extra gain but was thinking about an OCD. How does the OCD work with the AC30 you own?

Chuck
Chuck
Do you know if they did ANYTHING that would be non-original? That amp is killer sounding.

Luke

Ed Reed

How does the OCD work with the AC30 you own?

Chuck

I only use it for low gain stuff. LP mode with the drive and tone at 10:00 and volume for a small boost. I like it, very fat but not muddy. For some cool Robin Trower tones the OCD into a TS9 sounds pretty cool. ( TS9 set dr @12:00 )

George H

jakeddy,
Check out the thread below titled: Hogy/procos-Why is a vintage AC-30 so great? for some AC30 users here.

George H:)

procos

Gold Supporting Member
Originally posted by Hipster Dofus
Chuck
Do you know if they did ANYTHING that would be non-original? That amp is killer sounding.

Luke
Nothing except add the Top Boost.

Chuck

Unburst

I have a '64 JMI AC30, totally original (except the tolex which is this weird diamond pattern...)

I usually jumper all three channels and balance the volumes for gain.
Don't play it out, it's a studio amp and it sounds killer.

Distortion

Flame Maple Fanatic
Silver Supporting Member
I own an original 1962 JMI Vox that was brought up to specs by Plexi Palace. They just changed a few caps and filters and added the top boost.

Chuck
Chuck,
I spoke to Victor at the Plexi palace some time back about what they do when they rebuild an amp like yours.
According to Victor, normally they have the speakers reconed. Do you know if your speakers have the original cones in them, or have they been reconed?

procos

Gold Supporting Member
Originally posted by Distortion
Chuck,
I spoke to Victor at the Plexi palace some time back about what they do when they rebuild an amp like yours.
According to Victor, normally they have the speakers reconed. Do you know if your speakers have the original cones in them, or have they been reconed?
Not sure but I will say without a doubt that any amp I play through these speakers sound better. They are the best speakers I have ever played through. They probably have be reconed if that is what Victor said they do. To be honest I don't really care if they have been because they sound fantastic.

Chuck

Distortion

Flame Maple Fanatic
Silver Supporting Member
Chuck.

I know your amp has Blues in it, but here is a picture of what the cone codes look like if the speakers are original.
102 003 designates lead cones.

I know you are happy with the sound as is, but original speakers with original cones increase the value considerably.

procos

Gold Supporting Member
Originally posted by Distortion
Chuck.

I know your amp has Blues in it, but here is a picture of what the cone codes look like if the speakers are original.
102 003 designates lead cones.

I know you lare happy with the sound as is, but original speakers with original cones increase the value considerably.

Larry,
Thanks for the info. Since I won't be selling it the value doesn't really matter to me at this point.

Chuck

Trending Topics