Any acoustic player use stomp compressors?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Analog Assassin, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Analog Assassin

Analog Assassin Senior Member

Any of you acoustic players use compressors? I just built a copy of a Ross compressor for electric, but I'm thinking it might do a fine job on the acoustic, especially since acoustic electrics have such a zingy sound with that fast attack.

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

absolutely. i like the carl martin, as it seems to be the closest to a hi-fi p.a. compressor in a pedal. it's just the thing for leads, as i can add the right amount of volume and sustain for leads without sacrificing too much acoustic tone.

3. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

I agree, though often I want less bass from the compressed lead tone than my normal rhythm tone. I got a CM EQ and want to try using that to tame the bass and shape the lead a bit. Probably should get a bypass box for one button lead tone.

Just for context, I use the Carl martin comp for solos while playing along with myself using a looper on a solo acoustic gig.

[​IMG]

4. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

the other day I just tried plugging in my piezo'd acoustic into a dynacomp before DI... man it sounded great!! believe it or not, it really does a fine job on acoustics if you don't expect amazingly transparent holy grail compression. The song in my sig is actually the only time i've ever used the dynacomp on acoustic.

5. Analog Assassin

Analog Assassin Senior Member

The Ross I built actually sounds pretty transparent. It doesn't noticeably color the sound. I used quality film capacitors and metal film resistors for low noise. I guess it's pretty much what the Keeley compressor is. I built it for electric guitar, I'm pretty much an electric guitarist, but I've had this nice little Yamaha that's been sitting around the house, and now I've been asked to play at church. It's DI straight into the board, and it's got that typical 'dry' spiky tone. I figured the compressor would smooth it out a bit. I'm also thinking of using my ART Tube MP mic preamp to warm it up a bit too. I just might have to put together an acoustic pedalboard.

6. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Another Carl Martin comp user. I've owned the stand alone compressor and it was excellent. These days I use the compressor in my Quattro pedal and it is equally good, howbeit a little less adjustable.

I haven't liked a lot of electric guitar compressors for acoustics typically due to the coloration, but it would depend on the type of pickup. For piezos, electric guitar compressors would likely do just what you're after. The ART Tube MP sounds great as an acoustic pre. Bet the pair would sweeten up your Yamaha nicely.