Any advantage/disadvantage in getting 65 watt speakers for a 35 watt amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dB, Feb 14, 2012.

1. dB

dB Member

Here's the scenario:

I have a Two Rock Studio Pro 35 and am ordering 2 Scumback speakers for a 2x12 cab. A pair of 30 watt speakers would certainly work, but if I order a couple 65 watt speakers instead, the cab will be a bit more versatile for use with other, higher power amps.

Any compelling reason to go with the 30 watt speakers? FWIW, I don't actually have any higher power amps at the moment and don't plan on getting another one anytime soon.

2. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

You should just get the 65 watt ones if that's what you want....no harm in running 35 watts through a 130 watt cab, it's only problematic if you were trying to run your head through say, 2 blues. Plus, you never know when you might get some bad GAS in the future and pick up a higher wattage head or something, then you'll be set.

3. The Kid

The Kid Member

The 65W will be a little darker / smoother. Maybe Jim will chime in.

I have a friend with a Divided By 13 2X12 cab with two 65W M75's. The M75's sounded glorious (read: GLORIOUS!!!) with his 50W Friedman modded Marsha, but sounded pretty dull and lifeless with a Bogner Duende head.

The Duende absolutely KILLED through an identical Divided By 13 G12H30/Blue loaded 2X12 though. At the time, both cabs were open back.

We attributed this to a few factors actually. Obviously they are differently voiced speakers, and the Scumbacks are less efficient, but also because the 15W wasn't enough to really get the cones moving on the 65W speakers.

The OP is talking about 30W here, so maybe it won't be as noticeable. I'm no expert, so please take this in stride. I could be wrong... I've been wrong so many times before. ;)

Just a few quick back & forth A/B comparisons.

My FTR 37 sounded awesome through the 65W M75's. I preferred the click channel through this cab (although it did make the amp noticeably quieter) ... but overall, I preferred the G1230/Blue loaded cab for the FTR.

4. dB

dB Member

I should add that a Two Rock 2x12 cab comes loaded with their 1265's, and my combo currently has a 1265. So, I'm guessing that they prefer 65 watts over 30 watts.

5. ukslinger

ukslinger Member

Might take a little longer to break in. But if the speakers gets moving enough the watts won't matter.

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

once you have enough "speaker watts" to where you're not going to blow them, the rest is all about sensitivity and tone. the higher-wattage speakers might be getting that rating from having heavier cones and voice coils, which might make them actually quieter and darker than a lighter, low-wattage speaker getting the same power.

that sensitivity "dB" rating is more important than wattage for guessing how loud they'll be.

7. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

Well, I mainly use greenies with my JTM when Im not looking for clean and chimy at a louder volume...
    For cleaner stuff, the 65s sound much... Well, more clean. I'm not pushing the speakers into distortion as easily.

8. WhoJamFan

WhoJamFan Supporting Member

I have 150 watts worth of speakers in my AC30, and my 50 watt Hiwatt has a 412 and a 212 with 300 watts of speakers in them both. No problems at all with any of these configurations, the tone and volume are there in spades.