Any advice for taking Scales 101 Berklee Online Class?

jjboogie

Starts next week......I signed up and will be taking it. My first Online Berklee class ever. I am excited about it.

Anyone else taking it?

I never went to college and haven't been in school since 1991 so I am a little nervous about schooling but fired up about it being music.

So any tips on getting the most out of the class?

Last edited:

Ooogie

Practice up on sight-reading simple melodies and get your recording setup working on the computer. You don't really need much and Audacity will work fine, you just need to be able to import a backing track and record yourself playing along with the track. The scales class is pretty straight-forward but they do try to keep it interesting by applying the scales to standards in the assignments if I remember correctly.

Have fun!!
-Mark

jjboogie

Cool.....I am a Pro Tools engineer so the recording stuff won't be an issue.

I definitely need to practice up on sight reading......I am absolutely deplorable at it. My weakest area when it comes to music.

jimmons

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm thinking about taking it ... haven't pulled the trigger yet though. Been out of school for a long time, only been playing for two years ... not sure if I'll get totally blown out of the water ...

Ooogie

I definitely need to practice up on sight reading......I am absolutely deplorable at it. My weakest area when it comes to music.
I had to go check to make sure but they do provide tab as well so the reading won't be an issue. Of course you could still use it as an opportunity to improve your reading. :eek:

Mark

jjboogie

I'm thinking about taking it ... haven't pulled the trigger yet though. Been out of school for a long time, only been playing for two years ... not sure if I'll get totally blown out of the water ...
Well remember it is school not a contest.

I know for a fact there will be guys there that will be able to blow me out of the water! But I hope I can learn from them and be inspired by them.

You should do the same my friend. :D

Trending Topics