Any advice on a Lawn tractor purchase?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by rjpilot, May 8, 2016.

1. rjpilot

rjpilot Member

Been using a push mower but its been kicking my ass lately. Takes me 2 hours just to mow the lawn. Fairly flat but large lawn.

Been looking at Husqvarna, Cub Cadet, Toro, John Deere, Craftsman...
    Anything to avoid.
    Price point <1700.

I'm looking ease of operation and reliability. I also want an attachment to collect the clippings. Obviously it should cut the grass well and have sweet tone and sustain.

2. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

do what I do mow it in sections

3. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Supporting Member

John Deere zero turn model.

4. rjpilot

rjpilot Member

I do mow it in sections but sometimes weather and work make cutting the grass an all or nothing deal.

Those Zero Turn models are sweet but are nearly twice my budget.

I'm in the very early stages of shopping around so any additional input or discussion on the topic would be helpful.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    HerrRentz likes this.
  5. StanG

StanG Member

I got a Craftsman lawn tractor for about your budget years ago. It has a pretty tight turn radius. I use mulch plugs I got cheap from amazon. It plows snow. We just got the wagon, which has been great for mulch, and just moving tools and stuff around the yard. The way our house and lot is laid out, it is a long way around to the back yard, unless you go down the stone stairs. You can move a wheelbarrow down the stairs but it is a pita.

6. Bickford

Bickford Member

Yes. Buy the john deer I'm selling. Interesting trades will also be considered.

7. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Do you have to go through a gate at any point? If so, you're probably looking at a 42" deck.
    Is the grass catcher a must-have? They aren't cheap.

No matter the brand, your engine is going to be a Briggs & Stratton, Kohler, or a Kawasaki. The transaxle is almost certainly going to be made by Tuff Torq. http://www.tufftorq.com/products/lawn-garden/transaxles/

I went through this last year and ended up buying a Cub Cadet LT46. (Took some work but I got Home Depot to accept a Lowe's 10% coupon) It's not a zero turn, but I found the modern tractors have a lot tighter turning radius than the riders of 15 years ago, so it's not bad at all. I ended up going with Cub Cadet because I liked the wording of their warranty better and they had just revamped their line.

Trotter likes this.
  8. griggsterr

griggsterr Supporting Member

Look for a good used one. You could probably get a 3k mower for $1700

9. MustardCap

MustardCap Member

I'd personally hire a Neighborhood kid and pay 20-25/cut for the season. Cheaper in the long run, no overwintering, etc.
    $25 per cut weekly for 16 weeks x 5 years. 2K- good deal in my book. I have Neighbor Kids begging to mow our lawn weekly with their own mowers at that price. We hired a 14 yr/old that takes 20/wk for approx. a 3500 sq ft mow/week and does a great job. Dumps the clipping in a pile and we burn it in the fall to add to the greenhouse effect. J/K! with the burning.

10. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

11. Boobala

Boobala Member

Judge Smails likes this.
  12. Tachymetres

Tachymetres Supporting Member

Cub Cadet LT 42 seems popular and about $1600.

Trotter likes this.
  13. RoryGfan

RoryGfan Silver Supporting Member

When I was cutting our lawn, we used a Sears 42" twin-blade 17-hp. I got it on sale for under $1,000.

Comes with a clipping bag, easy automatic transmission, headlights and other good stuff. Plus, Sears came to the house every year and sharpened the blades.

It has a tight turn radius, too. It also mows great in reverse, and starts with a key. It will also pull neat stuff behind it, which helps with tree limbs, etc.

Our lawn is large, about 2/3rds of an acre. So, I'd put the pedal to the metal and do circles around the trees, then all the curb-type stuff. Then, I'd do long rows. Even when the grass was tall and wet, it would cut it.......sweet.

It is like a top of the line MIM Strat, and was already tuned up right out of the box. After I added a Big Muff, I was able to coax some singing sustain out of it. Nice tone for the price, too. Tight on the turns...a nice radius, felt good. After I switched to 008's I could get some sweet bends. Have never taken it off of the lawn. Great for Bluegrass, too.

14. rjpilot

rjpilot Member

Anyone have any comments on cvt vs hydrostatic transmission?
    I'd also like to stay in budget as the grass catcher is ~$350

I appreciate the advice fellas.

15. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

16. gotammo

gotammo Member

Went to a John Deere D140 after riding a Toro Bronco. They will both do the job, but there really is a difference in quality. I am very impressed with the John Deere, in spite of it being just another lawn tractor.

Just my two cents.

Judge Smails likes this.
  17. shane8

shane8 Member

18. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

Or some lambs.

My suggestion is stay with a push. Maybe pick up a nice propelled mulching lower and save your money. 2 hours is not unreasonable to me plus it's good exercise.

19. RJLII

RJLII Member

It would depend on whether you're looking for a riding mower or a lawn tractor. I had a large rectangular lawn at my old house and used a Troy Bilt (made by MTD) lawn tractor with a 42" three bladed deck and bagging attachments. It worked OK, but it was a lot of mower. My current house has a smaller lawn that is irregularly shaped. I now have a Snapper rider with a single 36" blade. It will mulch or bag. It's well suited to the situation I currently have. I wish someone made a smaller zero turn style mower that had a bagging option. The only beef I've really had with the tractor and the current Snapper is maneuverability in really tight spaces.

20. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Member

Can't go wrong with a Deere