Any advice on how to thicken/fatten up my OD tone?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Dunnej, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Dunnej

Dunnej Member

Hey guys,
    Just had a long band practice, and it was painful. The playing was great, but my tone was really REALLY bugging me. I have a Bruno Cowtipper 45 head that I run through a Two Rock 1x12, pedalboard, and nash rosewood strat. The pedal I've been using the most is a Rumble Mod D*mble overdrive pedal. All this afternoon it just sounded thin, middy, and harsh. I have the controls on the Rumble mod pedal set to where they usually are, pushed the "color" a little bit to try and smooth it out, but no dice. All the controls on the Cowtipper are at noon, I pushed the bass control a little towards the end and backed off the mid and treble. I really wanna thicken/fatten my OD up, keep in mind its more of a lighter OD (think mayer). Any advice on what I might have to do here?

2. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

Dump the pedal, and plug strait into the amp as the designer intended. Because pedals

3. Dunnej

Dunnej Member

I would, only problem is a Cowtipper 45 has TONS of headroom, I need to be able to have some OD at moderate volumes.

4. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Get a Jetter GSR Red ....an an amazing OD pedal...the best I've heard for Dumble type tones...Would sound great with your Bruno...

5. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Make sure the battery is good in yr pedal. When the battery in my Eternity starts to weaken, the LED looks fine but the tone is a little thin.

6. theroan

theroan Member

I have 2 pieces of advice
    1) Don't use an over drive at all. Overdrives on bass serve to steal attack, definition and clarity. Everything you need to be heard and everything you need to hit people in the stomach with your sound is removed.
    2) If you must use an overdrive, try to get one that will allow a blend of your clean signal with the distortion, so the overdrive doesn't BECOME your sound, just part of it. I think MXR makes some pedal that does that.

Thats my 2 cents

7. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

This is a guitar post that has been inadvertantly posted in the bass section...

However, I recommend you try an attenuator like a THD Hotplate or Dr Z Airbrake and see about opening up your Bruno and hearing what the amp is really capable of.