Any alternate ways for unplugging battery peds?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ringwraith, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Member

I'm almost complete my "big board" & there are a few fuzz pedals that I want to run with batteries. I will be mounting everything soon & it takes more space to have a pedal that you need to unplug all the time, leaving room to pull out the jack. Just wondering if there is a way around this other than using wall power. My Sunface actually doesn't have a DC jack so that's not an option anyways. I wonder how long a battery would last if it was left plugged in all the time?? What are you guys doing??

Thanks
    Sean

2. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Add a mini toggle switch to the top/side to turn the pedal on/off essentially taking the place of the stereo jack for this purpose. Just an idea and would be relatively cheap and simple to do.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-MINI-TOGGLE-SPDT-1P2T-ON-OFF-ON-SWITCH-125-VAC-6-AMP_W0QQitemZ120307456917QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120307456917&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

3. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Personally, I'd run each of those to an external battery box mounted under the board so i could permanently (relatively) mount the pedal. Someone did a nice job here with a similar idea, but not specific to fuzz.

4. steinwand

steinwand Member

+1 on that ...
    I do that with all my ge fuzzes

5. Seegs

Seegs Member

6. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

7. amp_surgeon

amp_surgeon Member

Wacky Idea Department:

Replace the input plugs on your patch cables with TRS plugs, Connect the sleeve and tip normally, but connect a third loose wire to the ring, a couple of feet long. Run the wire out of the connector cover, and terminate with a banana plug.

Make a separate box with input and output 1/4" TS jacks on the sides or back, and banana jacks on the top. Connect the sleeves and tips of the two jacks together, and connect the banana jacks to the sleeves through a toggle switch.

Now, connect the box somewhere inline with your signal path. Where exactly doesn't matter - you're just using it for ground. Attach the banana plugs from the patch cables to the banana jacks on the box.

By flipping the switch, you can break the ground connection to the ring contacts on all of the pedals with the modified patch cables, and all of them will be powered off.

8. Seegs

Seegs Member

this allows you to have the battery external to the pedal...you plug it into the AC tap with the battery in the clip...the PP2 battery adaptor clips onto the internal battery clip and the other end plugs into the PP2 so you are running the pedal off of a power supply...

Adam this is different in that you are running the pedal off of a battery and not a power supply...great for quick emergency changes and certain pedals that prefer batteries to power supplies...

Chow,
    Seegs

9. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

I think that what we're both asking Seegs is if that same wire for the PP2 battery can be instead used for a battery on the clip side and the other PP2 end into the pedal jack.

10. Seegs

Seegs Member

I don't have a PP2 so I don't know what type of connector is used to plug into the PP2...

if it is a standard 2.1mm boss type barrel connector then yes you could...I have a Cioks power supply and I cannot use that cable in this capacity...

Chow,
    Seegs

11. Nanouque

Nanouque Member

They are good. I use them myself but it doesn´t work with my Sun Face since it doesn´t have a DC jack. Solution for me was to keep Sun Face first in line so it´ll be easy to unplug.

12. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I thought of this a while back. Did you notice how you're comment just went seemingly unnoticed. You've run up against a paradigm boundry. It happens to me all the time here. Foolish humans.

[​IMG]

13. auratnik

auratnik Supporting Member

14. puddinstone

puddinstone Supporting Member

I got a kick out of this... happens to me all the time too.

( I also wondered why the above was ignored...it deserved some kind of comment!)

15. Frenster

Frenster Put your Rock Face on!

I just plug in a non-wired right angle power plug. That turns off the battery usually.

16. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

I always thought the purpose of this adapter is to provide DC power to pedals that don't have DC jacks. You connect the battery clip end to the battery clip in the pedal and the barrel end to your DC power daisy chain. That being the case, I don't see why it wouldn't work with your Sun Face.

17. Seegs

Seegs Member

not this particular cable....I mean this could work in theory as long as the barrel connector recepticle was the same on your power supply and the polarity was the same (thanx Mike) but if you look at this cable it is far to short to be using in this capacity and would never reach to the ps...

it was meant to be used as an external battery connection...the barrel end plugs into the pedals DC jack and a battery is plugged into the battery connector meaning you don't have to open the pedal to change batteries...

Chow,
    Seegs

18. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

The emergency battery clips are reverse polarity from the PP2 battery clip connector cables (the sex is opposite on a battery and a battery clip, sorry hard to explain...).

I made up a bunch of those battery clips with power jacks on them to bring to guitar shows for demos and also I have several of them around the shop for quick testing of pedals.

Inserting an unterminated plug into a power jack is a great way to disconnect power. Maybe even use a daisy chain that's not plugged into anything to kill several pedals and avoid losing the little plugs.

The on.off toggle works fine but fragile so we prefer adding on/off volume
    or fuzz pots on battery powered pedals like our fuzzes and Beano Boosts.

19. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

My bad. I thought you were using a daisy chain cable like the one I got with my 1-Spot power adapter, not to mention forgetting the original intent was to run the fuzz pedals on battery power, not AC... :jo

20. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Read up on Germanium fuzzes. The battery is an essential part of what makes them get their tone.