Any Alternatives to the Lo-Fi Loop Junky?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by aporcelainsky, Jan 21, 2012.

1. aporcelainsky

aporcelainsky Member

Are there any other true-bypass loopers that can do the lo-fi sound? Anyone know of anyone even doing clones of the zvex pedal? is this the one truly unique pedal out there??!?!?!

2. seth3

seth3 Member

I've heard that the Strymon El Capistan has an infinite delay/loop that can do the warbly, lo-fi-ie thing.

Having said that, get the Zvex - they're going to be discontinued soon and I love (love, love, love, love,) mine. I think it's the safest pedal I own from being sold.

3. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

yep the el cap

kills the lofi

4. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I think this is interesting:

5. aporcelainsky

aporcelainsky Member

ooo, forgot about the el cap.. I may just pick one up. I wonder if the lo-fi looping option will be as intuitive as the lo-fi junky :confused:

I've already got one :D

6. No.9

No.9 Member

Plenty of alternatives for a basic looper, even some with tape-like modulation etc., but I don't think anything compares to to the Lo-Fi Junky, it's the noisiest and most original of the bunch, and that's exactly what I was looking for.

7. aporcelainsky

aporcelainsky Member

looks like madbean has a circuit board based around it.. any ideas where to track down a completed build? I don't think any of the other suggestions thusfar really do what the lofi junky does :( I realize there are plenty of other loopers on the market.. but I don't think any really have the sound degradation feature built into the loop feature. correct me if I'm wrong!!!

8. TheRiotTapes

TheRiotTapes Senior Member

Timeline has a host of lofi options. Bit crushing, etc.

9. aporcelainsky

aporcelainsky Member

that can be applied to the looper only? or does a delay have to be engaged as well? I owned a timeline and I'm not sure I ever delved that deeply into the looper functions/parameters.

10. midwayfair

midwayfair Member

The timeline's lo-fi mode is better at it than the El Cap.

Here's some ways the El Cap compares with the Lo-Fi Loop Junky:

The loop junky:
    Is a dedicated looper
    Allows you to eff-up the loop in real time and maintain that sound indefinitely
    Allows you to reverse its lo-fi-ness
    Remembers the loop after you switch it off
    No sound on sound
    Very low power consumption (if you're up against the wall on your power source ...)

The El Capistan:
    IS NOT A DEDICATED LOOPER (important! :))
    Will lose fidelity the longer the loop goes on
    Will not retain fidelity under any circumstances (you can slow the degradation but not stop it)
    Records overdubs (an infinite number)
    Must be set to trails mode to play over the loop without recording an overdub
    Is quieter
    Is digital (if that really matters to you here)
    Obviously has functions that extend well beyond the looper. Because it's not a dedicated looper!

The El Capistan becomes lo-fi by rerecording the loop at each iteration, introducing new artifacts each time. Lo-fi the old-fashioned way! This is why you can't undo the lo-fi, but it will start out pristine. The Loop Junky becomes lo-fi by recording the signal and then processing the playback with various tape-style effects like compression, warble, and so forth. This is why you can "undo" part of the lo-fi, but it will never be pristine.

I think the timeline is a better choice if you need an alternative, but it's obviously much more real estate and power consumption. The lo-fi is a delay setting; the looper is a recording device built in that records the guitar with whatever settings you're currently using, so yes, it will record a lo-fi loop. I don't know whether you can alter the loop and then

11. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

Timeline has hiss assignable to wet tone only (only on repeats) or always hissing, aside from the repeats. I find this to be a really cool feature.

12. hazmat33

hazmat33 Supporting Member

bumping this up to see if anyone knows of a clone out there anywhere?

13. seiko

seiko Member

If you like the sound I would track down a Lo-Fi Loop Junky.

Yes, you can kinda emulate it with the El Cap but the sound isn't as spooky and cool to my ears, you don't get the noise artifacts, or the edge to the warble. Also -- and this is the bit that no one seems to mention -- the LFLJ gives a super-sparkly and distinct guitar sound over the loop because of the buffer, which makes it great for twangy filmic guitar over the fairground burble of your loop.