Any AM Sunlion love?

cryptozoo

This was a TGP discovery for me and I love this friggin' pedal, I start playing with it and the hours fly by. Got it a few months back and I'm still singing its praises. Through my WCR Darkburst neck on the 'Paul it sounds like syrup, for lack of a better description. Anyone else rockin' one?

EL34

Gold Supporting Member
Just received mine a week ago. I'm on the honeymoon, but I love it so far. It RIPS! It cleans up so well at the guitar, that I'm betting I could play a gig without ever turning it off. All of the AM pedals are a cut above IMO....I've got the Clone Chorus, KOT, Sunlion, so I guess you can say I'm a fan. Never tried his compressors yet, though.

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
I don't run a Sunlion mostly because I wanted to be able to run the Rangemaster side before the Fuzzface side so I just got 2 pedals! I have an AnalogMan modded Arbiter-England Fuzzface and an AnalogMan Beano Boost...I love themboth and use them with my AnalogMan King of Tone...yeah, Mike's got me hooked! He and his crew make killer pedals!

cryptozoo

With me, I was looking for a good treble boost and figured I'd go with the AM Beano Boost after all the good stuff I'd heard. Well, it just so happened that I picked a bad week to jones for one, because there were none to be had (I almost always stick to used gear). I did find a Sunlion on eBay though, and wound up being the high bidder. Then a few days later, I picked up an AM Beano Boost here on TGP. My logic was 'if I like the sunlion's fuzz, keep it, if not, sell it and keep the Beano Boost.' Well, needless to say, I've kept them both. I don't use fuzz much in with my live band setting (Beano Boost is much more practical so it's on the pedal board), but it's so much fun to play when I'm just jamming around, I can't even consider selling the Sunlion. D'oh!

I read somewhere that Lovepedal makes or made a limited edition pedal that was similar to the Sunlion. Anyone have any info on it?

russv

I wish I had the cash to just pick up a sunlion, and you folks aren't helping. I have picked up the side gear addiction of building pedals. I am designing one on the cheap. I am sure it won't be as good as the real thing. But after listening to this gushing, it has moved up the priority scale.

goldenboy

I got mine on ebay last summer right before they started making them again. Could have save $80 it would have waited a little longer. It is a great pedal. I recently compared it (the Sun Face side) to the Fulltone '69 and realized that it had a lot more fuzz. I was surprised since they are both supposed to be clones of the same pedal.

There are times though, with the fuzz maxed, and the guitar volume maxed, it is just on the verge of feeding back or starts to. And not the good kind of feedback. Any one else experience this?

Tonefish

Yes, I love the SunLion along with some other fuzzes (Skreddy, Karl, Triangle BMP....). The boost on the Lion makes it special.

datguytim

Silver Supporting Member
I had one - LOVE the Beano, wasn't particularly crazy 'bout the SunFace (I'm not really a fuzz guy to begin with) . . .so I sold the Lion & bought a Beano ala carte. I play LPs & SGs - LOVE AnalogMike's pedals (some of the best in the biz PLUS Mike is as cool as they come!). I got a friend who uses a Sunlion with his Strat & swears its the Holy Grail! Rock On, Sunlion fans!!!

cryptozoo

I never crank it so I can't be sure on the feedback issues. Usually run both the boost side and fuzz side around 3 o'clock, tops. It's got the continuous note thing happening in spades, and I can stop it on a dime with no feedback if the amp volume is dialed in right. I might add that I'm not really a fuzz guy and this is the first fuzz pedal I've spent any signif. amount of time with, but it's a hell of a lot of fun. Obviously, it works better with some amps than others (ie, NOT my Marshall 800).

For the live band setting, the AM Beano Boost really shines when you kick it on for leads -- it'll take your nuts off.

Top Geezer

yeah...huge Sunlion fan here...it's the perfect pedal, compact, jacks on top and an on/off switch and sounds amazingly good, it's the magic combo. So many combination for tone..I run a strat into an old SFDR and it sounds amazing. Love rolling back the vol knob on the start to 8, there is a lovely crunchy od tone that is so sweet. I also love running the beano into my TS-808..that is a killer tone too, really cuts through and is thick and hairy. Huge props to Mike!!! (check out Civel Revolution on my myspace page below, the solo is the sunlion fuzz w/ beano boost engaged).

I got mine on ebay last summer right before they started making them again. Could have save $80 it would have waited a little longer. It is a great pedal. I recently compared it (the Sun Face side) to the Fulltone '69 and realized that it had a lot more fuzz. I was surprised since they are both supposed to be clones of the same pedal.

There are times though, with the fuzz maxed, and the guitar volume maxed, it is just on the verge of feeding back or starts to. And not the good kind of feedback. Any one else experience this?
Just got it last week-lots of fun-

Everything is new-was always a straight to the amp player-

Chain is RMC3-SunLion-MojoVibe-EH 16 second delay and foot controller-EmplexadorII-Marshall1960A Starting the chain is either a VooDoo'd Strat or
Epi LP Custom w 3 VooDoo 59 HB's

With the RMC in front of the SunLion it gets a little Ice Picky. I talked to Mr.Reese and we changed some settings. It still takes some work on the Amp tone stacks to get it wholesome sounding. Sometimes it was painful.

The TopHat Emplexador in overdrive with the fat and boost circuits going Just don't need the Beano Boost But the Sun Face really benifits from the Beano Boost. I think the RMC3 is putting the SunLion over the edge. Maybe I'll put it first.

GB? What kinda Guitar/Pups you using Plenty of Good feedback with the VooDoo'd Strat. Humbuckers thicker and rounder.
EnJoY ThE MuSiC
Groovey Records
Listening to Sonny Stitt

eru

I'm debating on it, but I'd kinda like to be able to run the treble boost first...though I'm not sure if that's worthing paying for two pedals...

goldenboy

Just got it last week-lots of fun-

Everything is new-was always a straight to the amp player-

Chain is RMC3-SunLion-MojoVibe-EH 16 second delay and foot controller-EmplexadorII-Marshall1960A Starting the chain is either a VooDoo'd Strat or
Epi LP Custom w 3 VooDoo 59 HB's

With the RMC in front of the SunLion it gets a little Ice Picky. I talked to Mr.Reese and we changed some settings. It still takes some work on the Amp tone stacks to get it wholesome sounding. Sometimes it was painful.

The TopHat Emplexador in overdrive with the fat and boost circuits going Just don't need the Beano Boost But the Sun Face really benifits from the Beano Boost. I think the RMC3 is putting the SunLion over the edge. Maybe I'll put it first.

GB? What kinda Guitar/Pups you using Plenty of Good feedback with the VooDoo'd Strat. Humbuckers thicker and rounder.
EnJoY ThE MuSiC
Groovey Records
Listening to Sonny Stitt
I had my Clyde wah in front of my Sun Lion and OCD for a while. Didn't like how the Sun Lion sounded with the wah. Then at the end of the chain. Didn't like how the OCD behaved with the wah. Now I'm trying having the Sun Lion first - Clyde - OCD - then the rest of the pedals.

I mostly use a Les Paul.

Yea up GB SunLion infront of the fuzz works way better no more Ice Pick sharp pain in the ear. I can fall asleep next to a wall of double stacks using them for a pillow no problem but this was painful.

Now its all Better!

Great sounds.

I also took the 16 second out of the chain since its a digital effect, still have to figure out a better way for it. I love running my loops backwards changing the pitch and hitting it up an octive, Then playing live on top of that.

Lets wood shedding get creative

EnJoY ThE MuSiC
Groovey Records

Trending Topics