Any amp or piece of gear you regret not purchasing in the past?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jumpnblues, Jul 20, 2008.

1. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

For me, around '67 or '68, I was in a band that was having great local and regional success and gathering a huge following. We were a 9 piece R&B show band (tuxes, choreography, etc.), very tight, outstanding rhythm section, great black singer, sort of an early version of Tower Of Power. Since we were so rapidly gathering a following we all needed to replace our equipment with stuff that would handle the larger venues. We all sat down and had a meeting with our 2 managers and our parents (most of us were still in high school) and they OK'ed us to go and pick out anything we needed and monthly payments would be deducted from our gig money.
    A fellow guitar player told me about a new amp he saw at the (then) Des Moines Music House that I should check out. He told me the name of it and that it sounded killer, but I couldn't remember it at the time and when I went to the store all I could remember was it was supposed to be taller than me. Now that sounded cool.
    Well, I went to the store and I was indeed like a kid in a candy store. It was a huge store and there were amps and guitars everywhere. So many it was hard to focus on any one thing. I found an amp I was familiar with that I really liked...a Sunn. It had those cool 15" JBL speakers with the aluminum domes shining through the grill cloth...so cool. There were two other new amps on the floor I'd never heard of. An Acoustic (360?) and the other escaped my memory at the moment but I remember it was tall. The Acoustic was also impressive looking but it was too clean. I couldn't get it to break up. And it was L-O-U-D. Since I decided I didn't want to take a chance on that other amp I couldn't remember the name of I decided I wanted the Sunn. But our local music store had those so I decided to buy it there.
    Well, a year or so went by and I started to see just about all my guitar heroes using that new amp I had trouble remembering the name of. And I now wished I had picked it for my purchase. You guessed it...Marshall.
    I've never owned a Marshall in my life and now likely never will but I wish I had owned that one. And now you know the rest of the story. How 'bout you? Any regrets?

Tom

2. hamfist

hamfist Member

Great story Tom. I haven't anything really equivalent to that but there are several amps I "nearly" bought over the last few years, that I wish I actually had bought - to "tick them off my list" if nothing else.
    I also wish I had been much more discerning about my tone in the 80's, when I started playing. I played all sorts of rubbish then - can't believe I was such a doofus.

3. hamfist

hamfist Member

You forgot to add - "earplugs, and an attenuator, or very good neighbours !!"

4. shally

shally Member

had a chance to buy a vibro king amp that a storeowner/musician was selling because he had just bought a tone king.. both were incredibly sweet sounding amps, i passed on the VK to my regret

also, one of my teachers was selling his 4 X 10 blackface super reverb and gave me first shot at it.. i passed because it was too heavy, having just sold my own 2 X 12 twin.. the super was a great sounding amp...

5. Griz

Griz Member

My buddy was selling his '65 Strat for $1800 in the late 1980's. Seemed like too much cash at the time.

Yikes!

:jo

6. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

In the 15 years I've been playing, there has only been one piece of gear I wish the timing of life would have allowed me to buy. A 1963 Fender Strat that to this day is the greatest guitar I've ever played.

7. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

there ain't enough room on the internet to post all my regretted missed purchases. :(

8. hangten

hangten Member

i passed up a vibro king too!

DUMB!

it was in mint cond, for sale used for $1300. sounded SO great, and I could have swung it....(had a LOT more cash couple years back, pre divorce)

btw, I recently bought my first marshall (after playing for 25 yrs) - a 1987x....running it into a 4 10" cab w/ celestions....sounds great!
    highly reccomended....

9. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

Wished I would have taken the TR Opal.

10. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

Or at least until the cops show up! LOL

11. VinceM

VinceM Silver Supporting Member

I passed up a '53 "wide panel" tweed deluxe in the late 80's for $250 when I was in college. I thought it just looked old and didn't see why I would need such a thing. What an idiot.

12. shizzaq

shizzaq Supporting Member

Forgive me for sounding completely stupid but how come vintage gear was so much cheaper in the 80's? That wasnt that long ago.

13. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

Well, aside from the many Strats and Les Pauls I wish I had gone ahead and purchased in the 60's the thing that first came to mind was the Gustavvson that I could have purchased a few years ago for about $5000. I decided to not spend that much money.

I also passed on a Bludotone last year when the wait was only about 3 months.

Doh!

14. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Hair metal. Not many Randy Rhodes wannabes needed a tweed or a vintage strat.

dk

15. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

Oh yeah, I almost forgot I passed on an all original 62' strat for $3,200.00 back in 94'. I have cried since over that moment.

16. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

Double power (80 watt) Carr Slant 6V.

17. mmarconi

mmarconi Member

A zemaitis engraved metal front @ 1981..in an off the map guitar shop for I think @ $1000..a new Les Paul was $800...I wish I bought the Zemaitis for sure!!

18. greasykid

greasykid Member

A Super Bass head and cab for around $540 about 2 years ago. My brother was in band rehearsals that time and he had the van with him so I can't pick up the stack from the seller.

After the rehearsals, I called the seller and he told me someone already bought it an hour ago.

19. mprvise

mprvise Member

Just about anything from Strings West (Tulsa, OK) in the early to mid 1980's. That place was FULL of great vintage stuff, but being a silly teen and newer player I wanted a Kramer guitar and a more modern looking amp. :jo