any amp tech/modders in Texas?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by scottcrud, Oct 31, 2005.

1. scottcrud

scottcrud Member

I'm interested in having my Boogie .50 cal tweaked and would rather not have to send it to New York or California.
    I'm in Pflugerville ( near Austin) by the way.

Thanks.

2. zach5150

zach5150 Guest

Hey Scott.....well, I live in Austin too....well, actually, Round Rock. What do you have in mind for the Boogie? If I cant do it, I know if 2 amazing guys here locally......I have a side business out of my home repairing and modding amps a bit. email me:
    zmorsbach at gmail

3. scottcrud

scottcrud Member

I just e-mailed you, I live in Pflugerville off of Grand Ave. Prkway.

4. zach5150

zach5150 Guest

just replied....we live about 10 minutes from each other!

5. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

cool
    I am in Austin as well
    do you have a website?
    what kind of stuff do you do?

6. zach5150

zach5150 Guest

I dont have a website yet....
    Currently, I'm concentrating on amp/pedal tuneup/repair/mods. I want to get into building amps and maybe pedals in the future.

7. ned911

ned911 Member

Round Rock here as well.

Zach - let me know if you need help with the website. Check the sites in my sig for examples.

Might need to put together a jam session. I've got rehearsal space on Wells Branch we could use.

8. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Just FYI,

Neither Round Rock nor Pflugerville are Austin.

Is Skokie Chicago?

Is Ft. Lee NYC?

Is Oakland San Francisco?

Politically, culturally and in lots of other ways, the differences between Austin and Round Rock and between Austin and Pflugerville and like day and night.

Now to answer the question, The Fulton Webb guys are at Austin Vintage Guitars, they do amp repairs, and I assume, mods. If you were in Austin, you would have known that already. ;)

9. scottcrud

scottcrud Member

Hey Joe,

Fullton-Webb are far too busy to work on my Boogie, Bill is more interested in pushing his own ampline. I lived in Austin for 14 years before moving to the P-Ville and you're right, the water in Austin is much better than Pflugervilles Mannville water.

10. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Glad to see you have a good sense of humor. :D And now you went and changed your first post, so my obnoxious post doesn't make sense any more!!

You know, I went to Austin Vintage about 2 weeks ago and they had at least 40 amps lined up waiting for repair, so he can't be spending too much time building F-W amps.

I did plug into a F-W 17 watt model and it sounded great. I asked about it and got information with absolutely no sales pressure. I want one.

11. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

another guy would be Bill Ussery at Strait Music
    he worked at Music Makers for years (boogie dealer) as a tech

he is also about to release his own line of stuff

austintonelab.com

12. zach5150

zach5150 Guest

Ned...thanks for posting! Yeah, we should try to hook up sometime. I guess we could go to Saradora's in round rock or something...maybe, we shouldnt pass upon the culturally rich soil and disturb the sacntity of austin. We northern swine must steer clear...wouldnt want to upset joe :)

BTW Joe, when people ask me where I live, I ususally reply w/ "Round Rock Corporate Hell"......I'd rather live in austin too.....

13. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

Call "The Tube Doctor" and see what he's got to say. He's in the yellow pages.

There's also the guy from Austone Electronics--I forget his name.

Bill Webb is my go-to-guy, but he's usually really swamped.

Bill Ussery is real good too.

At any rate, good luck with it.

14. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

I've heard good things about the Tube Doctor as well - but he's a Southie (Congress south of 71) which might be kinda scary for you RoundRock types...:D

John Bessent is the Austone guy - he's real good. He'll talk your ear off, but he knows his stuff pretty well. He's worked on a few amps for me.

I have a FW 17 watt head and love it, and have used Bill for a few things, but not lately - he was always busy, but I think that's because he's good.

If y'all wanna put together a jam/amp fest/reason to get out, I'm in...:D

15. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

I reckon I'd be up fer some pickin'....long as we're talkin' guitars and not crusty deposits that tend to collect in places like--never mind.

An amp/guitar tasting event sounds fore ay-out!:) I've got a MESA Blue Angel 4X10 combo that I run at 15 watts most of the time.

Just send me an email or yahoo! IM.

16. raul

raul Member

yes, Austin Vintage is the place to go. i took my YBA 1 there and they cleaned it up and it rocks. very good folks. i live right around the corner from them, it's a fun ritual to go there at least once a week to drool at all the stuff they have there! they do great work at a fair price.

17. Jeff Seal

Jeff Seal Member

Well, I'm a little south of Austin......... but since you specified Texas..... I'll chime in........ Tech/Modder/Builder.....

I can't really give out customer names, but the band initials of one of my my more "famous clients" is SOAD.....;)

Jeff Seal

18. scottcrud

scottcrud Member

Jeff, I pm'd you.

19. Voodoo Amps

Voodoo Amps Member

If you are in Texas Jeff Seal would be great to talk with :)

Hope it helps
    Trace

20. Telephant

Telephant Member

Scott, IMO the only worthy techs ive found are Webb and Ussery. I did not like my experience with the Tube Doctor. And I used him for a quite a few different things and each time I was disappointed.

id suggest Ussery. That guy knows his stuff.

UNless you are coll with shipping your amp to Houston, Id go with Mr. Seal. I still need to send him my 2210. :eek: