• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Any amps similar to Budda SD18?

BMX

Silver Supporting Member
Looking for a pre-peavey Budda Superdrive 18 head but all I find are combos or the Peavey version. While I'm waiting for one to pop up are there any other amps that sound like the Budda SD18? I've got the 30 watt superdrive and just looking for the same thing but quieter.

Should I be looking at Friedman and Suhr Badger? Anything else? Bonus points for one that has a built in attenuator or really good master volume.

rummy

Silver Supporting Member
Club 18 by East, perhaps? FYI, though, SD18 isn't much quieter than SD30.

Reactions: BMX

rolsen

As others hinted, the 18 is not quiet. It was as loud as my Vox AC30, which is as loud as a 50 watt Marshall or close enough to it. Isn't there a 'baby Budda?' Not sure if it has similar tones to the super drive series.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
No other amp sounds like a Budda. They truly have their own signature tones... incredible overdrive....my SD30 is my favorite amp by far.. great fx loop as well.... Jeff's new company is called East Amps... there is an East 18 head and matching speaker cab on Reverb for 1100..,,, there's a number of used Buddas there as well...

Last edited:

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
Naylor amps have a similar tonality but have an unbelievable master volume so you can play them anywhere happily. More expensive though I guess

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
You can pull two tubes from your sd30 and half the impedance and it will basically make your amp an sd18. It will not be very much quieter though.

TrevorW

Silver Supporting Member
I have a 30 watt amp with a half power switch and the difference is laughable. That said there's absolutely nothing wrong with a Peavey made Budda, They're great amps. As with anything right now, buy used, buy smart and you won't lose as much of your ass if you decide to sell down the road.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
I have two of each, SD18 & SD30. As others have already mentioned, there isn't much volume difference between the 18 & 30.
I had Jeff Bober install a 1/2 power switch on my SD30 and that did the trick for me. According to Jeff, it drops it down to about 12 watts.

BTW, cool thing about the SuperDrive series is that all the chassis' are interchangeable with the head & combo cabs. If you buy an SD18 combo you can always pickup up an empty headshell from EBAY (they're there from time to time) and it will mount right in.

Or, if you want to spend a little you can have a custom headshell made. One of my SD30s sits in this mini headshell. It's my main gigging amp.

jimmyohio75

I have two of each, SD18 & SD30. As others have already mentioned, there isn't much volume difference between the 18 & 30.
I had Jeff Bober install a 1/2 power switch on my SD30 and that did the trick for me. According to Jeff, it drops it down to about 12 watts.

BTW, cool thing about the SuperDrive series is that all the chassis' are interchangeable with the head & combo cabs. If you buy an SD18 combo you can always pickup up an empty headshell from EBAY (they're there from time to time) and it will mount right in.

Or, if you want to spend a little you can have a custom headshell made. One of my SD30s sits in this mini headshell. It's my main gigging amp.

There is so much awesome in this picture I don't know where to start....

Trending Topics

Top Bottom