Any avatar 1x12 users here. Looking for speaker recommendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by HeeHaw, Jan 1, 2006.

1. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I have a new Reinhardt 50 watter and am looking for suggestions as to which speaker to use in a 1x12 Avatar or similar cab. I have a greenback loaded 4x12, but want a 1x12 for small gigs. I'm not willing to cook one of my 25 watt Celestions in a 1x12.

Any thoughts?

2. 52who

52who Member

HeeHaw,
    I have an older Carvin SX100 (1-12") combo that I use as a cab for my tube amp head. I switched out the original 'British' speaker for a Weber California ceramic 12". What a great sounding speaker! Now, I realize that Avatar just uses Celestion and Eminence speakers but you can buy those cabs empty if needed. My other cab is a Mesa twin Black Shadow 90 (similar to Celeston Lead 80) bottom; which was my favorite before. The California is very similar to the old JBL D-120. Hope this helps.
    52who

3. granite

granite Member

There's a bunch of speaker sound clips in the "member soundclips" area. Also check out this TGP member's website http://www.woodys-guitar-world.co.uk/listen.htm (scroll down to the bottom for speaker clips). Woody's been really helpful to me and seems like a super nice guy.

Maybe an Eminence Wizard would be nice in your 1x12 cab?

4. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Celestion Century Vintage. Weightless and wonderful

or a Jensen Neo.

jon

5. Boogs

Boogs Member

Any idea how high the Reinhardt peaks wattage-wise? The Weber ceramic Blue Dog 50-watter would seem to cut it close, but Ted acknowledges that they are rated conservatively. Really sweet speaker!

No other suggestions outside of Emi, which I know isn't your preference overall.

6. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Had a 4x12 with wizards and didn't care for them. I might go for the tonespotter though.

7. 52who

52who Member

Bluesdoc,
    have you ever run a Celestion Lead 80 (Mesa Black Shadow 90)? How does it compare to the Celestion Neodymium Century Vintage? It'd be nice to have some light weight speakers for a 2x12 cab.

8. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Not side by side so I can't answer very well. Do a search for Century Vintage and you'll get some opinions. I think it was scumbag who said it resembled a G12H more without handling all the low end. I have no prob with the low end of the CV, but that's just me.

jon

9. trisonic

trisonic Member

You could try the Eminence Governor - British sounding, handles 70 watts, I think.

Best, Pete.

10. hour9

hour9 Member

I have a man 'o war in my Avatar 1x12 right now and it sounds great IMO.

11. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

What kind of speaker does a man O' war emulate? Or is it an Eminence flavor versus British flavor?

12. KLINKDETROIT

KLINKDETROIT Member

The tonker has the best cleans I have tried. The texas heat mixed with the tonker is the best combo for cleans.

13. 62sg

62sg Member

Hello, HeeHaw
    If you are looking for Greenback tone, but in a higher wattage, check out the Eminence 'Private Jack'. It is 50 watts. Also, the Weber ceramic 'Silver Bell' is available in wattages up to 50.
    John
    www.stoneagecustomcabinets.com

14. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

Have you considered a 2x12 instead. I know they are significantly larger cabs than the 1x12 cubes but I've never been satisfied with the "soundstage" from a single 12. Even at lower volumes, I always gravitate towards 2x12 minimum. Plus it allows far greater choices to mix and match for sound and power handling. I have an avatar 1x12 with an emi GB and, although it sounds quite good (deep little critter), it is such an odd size that I only use it as a remote extension cab. Try putting any head other than a crate power block it, lol. My thd 2x12 is not THAT much bigger but provides a huge sound in comparison. Trutone also makes a smaller and very light, wonderfully resonant 2x12 that is extremely reasonable like the avatars but much better built IMHO.
    BTW: that emi GB is a very nice sounding Greenback type with a little more headroom and a little more definition. You'll have to check the site for power handling, my aging brainmatter can't seem to recall if it's rated for 30, 50 or 70 watts, sorry.