Any Avatar Premier Vintage users?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by el34power, Sep 14, 2006.

1. el34power

el34power Member

I am thinking of getting one of these. Regardless of the speakers, hoe does it "resonate" ?

2. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

I've got a Premier Vintage (Bluesbreaker style) and I love it...I have the closed back version and it stacks up with any other nice 2x12 I've tried. Very nice construction

3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

I love mine. I got the open back for more low end, and this bad boy DELIVERS! With the Hellatone 60L's it has more bottom than the 4x12 it replaced and with Eminence Governors it has even MORE bottom. But overall it sounds super. I replaced the logo on mine though :)

[​IMG]

4. el34power

el34power Member

Cool! how was the logo put on it? glue?

I was thinking of getting it with th H30/V30 mix and then replacing them with scummies M75's/H75's.....

5. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

It looks fantastic, but I always thought a closed back gives you more low end.... at least with a combo it does IMO

6. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

I have the premier vintage also (closed back). It's a great cab.

7. el34power

el34power Member

It has to be big sounding. it would replace my 4x12 for my JCM800/2203

8. SAVAGE BEAST

SAVAGE BEAST Member

I have one and it sounds nice. I tend to like my Dr. Z Best cab better, but mine sounds good. OF course, mine is in Red Tolex so it naturally sounds better, haha....I have the mix of a V30 and a Celestion Heritage or whatever it is in there.

9. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

I'm real happy with how my Premier Vintage sounds. It came with Celestion g12h30's, closed back. Good low end, not boomy or loose. The low mids are probably what I noticed the most - nice and meaty.

10. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Nice. I'm looking to move some equipment and get another cab. This one's on my radar with this configuration.

11. monkeyland

monkeyland Member

that was the exact move that i made. i got the avatar thinking that it would be smaller and i'd keep my marshall cab around just because. i ended up selling the marshall cab right away. the avatar vintage cab really is a great deal. mine has Hellatone 30 and 60 in it.

12. Darth Tater

Yeah it's on with hot glue, it pops right off and the glue is easy to peel from the cab.

13. Darth Tater

I think most people think that a closed back has more bottom because of the midbass boost you get from a closed back. It's fatter, but definitley not deeper because the closed cabinet limits the low frequency.

14. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

I have one. They are MojoTone made (according to Avatar). Sounde very much like my Aiken 2 *12 or a Germino. Same basic

Yes, closed back has more bass than an open back cab - unless the cab is extremely small. Not the case with these. The Open back cab will have more apparent mids = but some has to do with the lack of bass.

The rear wave of the spk is out of phase with the front wave - longer waves of the bass notes in an open back meet each other and cancel out.