• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Any bands like Killswitch Engage but with no screaming?

Bankston

Not quite as good or heavy as KSE, but I dig this song:

A little more like KSE. And actually this mix leaves out the screaming:

CHECK OUT "Atma Weapon"! The guitarist is a fellow TGPer, what more could you want.

OP....I'm with you. I freakin' LOVE KSE, "My Curse" is one of my all time favorite songs and their cover of Holy Diver....oh man.

So I'm glad to see some new additions to this thread because I made the same thread about a year ago haha.

I don't have much to add other than Atma Weapon and if you want something a little lighter but still incredible, check out "Funeral For a Friend" and their record "Hours"...some incredible guitar work and very little screaming.

I think asking for upbeat lyrics in metal is kind of like asking for blues music with no bends in the guitar solos. Bad example but it's so uncommon to have upbeat lyrics. Underoath used to have some real metal music in the 90s and they're a Christina band.

speedemon

Hmm,

If you want heavy metal without 90s screaming, just buy stuff made before the 90s. There is tons of it. It doesn't sound much like Killswitch Engage tho. If you are looking for metalcore, well, the screaming is part of what makes it so. Christian Death had a similar sound, not really much screaming, Atreyu? Bullet for My Valentine?

rodeodee

The new Soilwork album is really, really great. Guitar playing is full of great guitarwork and solos too.

definitely check out Scar Symmetry. especially their first 3 albums. Their vocalist at the time has an amazing Rock voice with some growls mixed in. Incredible band with incredible production on their albums as well. Ghost Prototype II may be one of my favorite metal songs of all time.
Soilwork in another great band with a huge scope of work.
Strapping Young Lad will knock you on your ass as well.
Dude thanks for this, I had not heard of these guys and I love them!

lucky111

Double Platinum Member
Times of Grace; KSE-style because of Adam (guitars, drums, vocals, production) & Jesse (original lead singer of KSE) are the band.

IMO--hits the nail on the head.

Cheers!
Luk

Sheherezadeh

You guys are recommending a lot of bands that have a similar ratio of clean/harsh vocals to KSE. Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, Opeth and the like are great bands, but I can't imagine they're what he's looking for.

fetchmybeer

Gold Supporting Member
Freaks me out that Alter Bridge is Creed sans Stapp because Creed was so awful and Alter Bridge isn't at all.

rodeodee

You guys are recommending a lot of bands that have a similar ratio of clean/harsh vocals to KSE. Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, Opeth and the like are great bands, but I can't imagine they're what he's looking for.
The new Soilwork album is more clean vocals than screamo, that was why I suggested that album. But you may be right.

At some point I think you either get used to it or accept that there aren't really any bands making music like that with "normal" vocals.

Trending Topics