Any Barber EQ / BarbEQ owners here?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nrvana8775, Jan 15, 2008.

1. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

A tech friend of mine said that the barber eq was a good choice for my need to boost the mid/highs a little bit. I would keep the pedal on full time and adjust my amps tone control based on the base tone I set with the barbeq. Anyone have one of these or another suggestion for an eq?

2. Jam119

Jam119 Member

I got mine to run with my amps that have only a volume and tone control to give more EQ... But I've found that I love it paired with my other amps as well... i.e. with my AC30HW - I set the Barb EQ on the plexi setting and it adds a really nice twist to the stock AC30 chimey tone with more of a bark and growl. Very useful pedal live and in the studio. And yes - It can definately be a leave on all the time EQ - I think it will perfect for what you want to achieve...

3. mjcyates

mjcyates Member

I have a Barb EQ that I use last in my chain to tweak overall eq and volume. My amp is a Hot Rod Deluxe so in a live situation I usually have the toggle set to the plexi tone stack. It seems to help cut through the mix better. I have it on at all times. I think it is a very useful pedal.

4. steelplayer

steelplayer Member

I've used it with Carvin X amps to cop a Fender and Marshall voice. It definitely adds versatility. Very useful pedal. I would have never parted with it if I still used the Carvins.

-LarryW

5. ancient

ancient Member

I recently picked one up that has replace my Boss PQ-4. The PQ-4 is also a good parametric EQ but the Barb EQ is more trasnparent and definitely kicks things up a knotch tonewise. It should work for boosting highs and mids especially if you set to the high watt tweed setting and turn up the treble. I bought it for this exact same reason. Also, from their manual "the midrange control is slightly more active than the vintage tone stacks... because of this you should start with the midrange control at its minimum setting".

Hope this helps.

6. kirsch

kirsch Member

how would this work with my original blackface 1965 deluxe reverb? i was going to modify the amp for a mid knob but i was thinking of using the barbeq on the blackface setting and then boosting the mid kinob so i dont need to mod.

7. kirsch

kirsch Member

8. Dave

Dave Member

The BarbEQ would be perfect for this, but keep in mind that it does color your sound a bit, at least in my experience, but it does so in a very "musical" way IMO.

9. JCM 800

JCM 800 Member

Does this pedal only boost frequencies or can it cut as well?

10. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I had one and it is the oddest pedal I've ever owned. In some switch settings, certain knobs don't seem to do anything at all. Maybe I'm just a dunce but I didn't have the patience to figure out what it was supposed to be doing.

If all you want is to boost mid/high freqs, just get a graphic eq. Maybe this one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXR-M108-Ten-Band-Graphic-EQ?sku=151115

You can get them on ebay in like new condition for under $100, sometimes way under.

11. Dave

Dave Member

Yeah, it's not a straight up EQ pedal, it's supposed to emmulate the tone stacks of certain iconic amps. Sounds wonderful though.

12. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I would most likely leave mine on all the time, and keep it at the beginning of the chain. I want to liven up my rivera knucklehead, and use it as the base for my tone, adjusting the knobs on the kh as needed.