Any baritone/down-tuning guys here?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by guitguy28, Sep 30, 2008.

1. guitguy28

guitguy28 Member

I bought a guitar that I tune exclusively in standard tuning, but down to C:
    C F Bb Eb G C

I love the sound of it. Ever since I heard a guitar tuned that low, I always felt that the low E, a lot of the time, just wasn't low enough for me anymore.

I like bass a lot, too. I even considered switching over to a Chapman Stick several years ago. But I just like guitar too much.

Baritone tunings, or tunings with down-tuned low strings, just do it for me.

I also use a lap steel with a low CGCCGC tuning and it just sounds unbelievable.

I'm currently working with a singer-songwriter who often uses a capo to suit her range. So the blend is pretty cool.

Charlie Hunter is a guy who had to get a custom instrument to suit his desire for low end. But there's also guys like acoustic fingerstylists Don Ross and Andy McKee who do a lot in the low end.

What do you guys think about baritone? Any observations, thoughts, experiences to share?

2. Jeffj

Jeffj Supporting Member

I have a Esquire baritone made from Warmoth parts that I have been playing several yrs. It goes to every gig with me & is a great tool.
    [​IMG]

3. funkycam

funkycam Member

My dad has a baritone acoustic that i got to play this summer on vacation.
    What a blast!
    wonderful piano sounding chords.
    v cool...

4. Voiceofasoul

Voiceofasoul Member

Most of my stuff has been either DGCFAD or CGCFAD. I love the crunch of it all, but I still keep a guitar in E and one in Eb. Standard really seems to bring out the mids, which is really fun for thrashy material. I also have a homemade 7 (just more comfortable to my hands than a baritone) that I tune to GDGCFAD, to get that ultimate heavy, lol. Anyone know what Ion Dissonance tune to? They sound like seven strings, but for the life of me I can't figure how the hell they make that ungodly low end.

5. KRosser

KRosser Member

Jerry Jones Baritone here, tuned B-E-A-D-F#-B

6. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

That's the stuff! My buddy loaned me one once for two weeks, been looking for one just like it ever since. Great sounding guitars.

7. Bing James

Bing James Member

+100%
    Jerry Jones Baritone here as well....black Neptune singlecut, 2 p/up tuned B to B .
    I have switched to playing baritone all night at every gig. I'm in a duo with my pal playing on his Martin D35 and Taylor T5. Since we have no bass, this is a killer combo tonewise and adds plenty of piano-like bottom. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out my baritone hero...Tonedr... this guy is THE BEST!!!!
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lvt22pqxvo&feature=related

8. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I have been tuning standard a whole tone down since I started playing guitar... I've almost always played extended scale guitars though - so - with the extra length on the neck providing sustain/whomp it makes the full step down sounds meaty/thick and wonderful.

Currently playing a 7 string Soloway tuned ADGCFAD.

_TJK*

9. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

I've been playing baritone and baritone tuned guitars quite regularly for about 15 years now. I always liked the sound of baritones- even before I played guitar and knew what they were, I thought that "Slipping Away" by Dave Edmunds had a really cool guitar sound. Later I found that you could buy that tone in an old Danelectro!

I had a head start among my peers in tuning below standard because my primary guitar influence early on was Tony Iommi and most of the post-Paranoid 1970's Sabbath material is tuned down a couple steps. My formative playing years were the mid- 80's and it was very UNcool to like Sabbath at that time. All my friends guitars had Floyd Rose whammy bars, so they COULDN'T tune down!

Anyhoo... I discovered that a lot of what I liked in the music of Sabbath, AC/DC, etc. was the blues influence, and I made my deal with Mel Bay down at the crossroads so I could play the TRUE devil's music! ..and where is hell? ..DOWN, of course. ..and when does a guitar sound most cool and evil? When its tuned DOWN! That's how I come to play slide blues on baritones. Here's some of my heroes:

Mike Henderson- This is the ONLY thing on Youtube from him and does not do his work justice. Look into him if you dig down-tuned blues. My last band was completely modeled after his band 'The Snakes'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd797zqqg28

Kid Ramos is one of my heroes and has gradually over the last three or four years been incorporating baritone into his sets. He finally cut a version of this scorcher with his band "Los Fabulocos"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXigPM-lvMM&feature=related

The Hacienda Brothers r.i.p. Gaff!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naiRAHQoJ8A&feature=related

This still gives me the 'chicken skin'.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XngCctzGU7I&feature=related
    and part 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vFBG5OIh5A&feature=related

and a little Jet Harris, one of the wellsprings:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMvAImeb0PQ

10. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

As far as I know they tune 2 full steps down on all strings. It is possible they do Drop E tuning with the Low G though.

www.sevenstring.org will have fellas that can tell you for sure, but there are a LOT of Ion Dissonance threads to go through if you do a search, easier to just start a thread!

_TJK*

11. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

Dano Hodad B to B
    Sometimes A to A
    Add a capo in the mix and it really starts to get fun.

12. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

I've been playing a Dano bari with a particular band going back about 8 years. I use it about 20% of every show. I've thought that it would be cool to do singer/songwriter shows using the Dano and a capo.

I've also played around with acoustic guitar in C to C tuning. I have an old Japenese Strat copy with an unusually long scale that I've considered stringing with heavy strings and tuning way down.

-Scott

13. theroan

theroan Member

For metal, I need that drop C!

14. KBR

KBR Member

I use regular, but also DGCFAD down a whole step
    I am fixin to try AK's DB Minor some day...Pull The Strings!!

www.myspace.com/kennyblueray

15. tmaker

tmaker Member

I love to play my D12-28 tuned down a full step. Think "Here My Train a comin'"

16. SarasotaSlim

SarasotaSlim Member

17. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

Yo Slim,

What guage do you use?

-Scott

18. Voiceofasoul

Voiceofasoul Member

Thanx for the heads up, I'll look into it.

19. scoob

scoob Member

I have an 80's squier strat I tune down to C using EB 12's - no baritone though. Love the sound of it. But you have to be careful with the lowest lows...it gets a little messy with the bass sometimes. Also, I use less gain with this guitar.

20. Branimir

Branimir Member

Kinda getting this thread up from the dead... Sorry :)

I use 12-54 and tune to C, the guitar is an Edwards LP with P90's, it's a cool thing since P90's aren't bass heavy and have strong mids so it's virtually impossible to get lost in the mix hehe...

And there's a silicon fuzz face, diy hiwatt custom 100 clone, 4x12" with two V30s and two Emi V12s.

No probs with intonation, though 13-56 would help things get "tighter", but I like the loose feeling with the 12-54's... 52 for the thickest string (C) is too flabby, so I prefer 54.

I like downtuning since fuzz sounds like a truck then and also with a such low tuned bass guitar you get monstrous thick wall of sound with just two instruments.