Any Bassman LTD clones that outdo Fender's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tylenol Jones, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

Only curious because there are lots of clones that are highly regarded of other amps but I don't ever seem to see clones of the tweed Bassman 4x10 LTD that Fender currently sports.

antisyst likes this.
  2. speedyone

speedyone Supporting Member

There's the Clark Piedmont, the Victoria 45410...they're out there.

3. jazzwannabe

jazzwannabe Supporting Member

Barron 59 by Corona AmpWorks, California. Hard to find.

4. bluesky636

bluesky636 Member

Best one out there. :rockin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 5881

5881 Supporting Member

Love my Kendrick 2410; First of the clones, as well as one of the first boutique builders. Gerald can get some bad press here as he's a bit of an "eccentric", but he is one of the founding fathers of the Fender clone movement.

6. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

Looks nice. Link?

7. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

There is a German company called Tube Amp Doctor, that belongs to Mojotone, but their amp kits are even higher quality. My friend has one. He uses it as both guitar and harp amp. It sounds killer! He says he likes it more than Fender's LTD Reissue.

lemme know whatcha think

8. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

it ain't rocket science. Just about any decent builder can best the fender reissues IMO. as far as accuracy and attention to detail. I actually prefer the old PCB reissue from the 90's to the later LTD version.

I'd look at victoria, clark, Marsh amps, etc. I've played a victoria and it was pretty sweet.
    If you've the time and inclination, its not out of the realm of reasonable to build your own.

9. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

Just contacted him and he still makes them, although only in his spare time.

Let me know if you want his contacts. :)

His price is $1800.

10. bnwitt

bnwitt Member

Just thought I would pop in here and give a little information on the Baron 59. It is hand wired on a turret board and uses the Hoffman style 5F6-A layout. This layout produces a dead quiet on idle amplifier with no artifacts in the signal. We have A/B'd the Baron 59 against the early and more recent LTD model Fender reissue amps on several occasions and the difference is night and day. The re-issues are noisy and don't have very good tone. When you put them side by side with the Baron 59 that fact becomes very apparent. The Baron 59 is not only quiet but has excellent tone and is very touch responsive. Beside the from scratch Baron builds I gutted and Baronized numerous Fender reissue Tweed Bassmans for customers.

I believe I made around 10 of the Baron's when I was building amps full time. It is a very loud amp and most players these days prefer a lower power amp which is mic'd to the PA so they can get the overdriven power tube tone without frizzing their band mates' hair. For this reason I built many more Tweed Deluxe (Duke 55) amps than Barons. All of that being said, I only build a handful of amps per year these days due to being overloaded in my EE business and recently I have only been building them for my own recording studio.

If you really need a 40 watt Tweed tone amp and can find one of the Baron 59 amps I'm sure it would serve you well as I only built them with premium parts. I don't have one in my personal studio though as it is just too loud for a small studio environment.:) For a gigging musician playing larger venues or outdoor venues it would be fine.

Barry Witt

11. sideman

sideman Member

I loved my Fender Bassman RI - used it for several years. Best $600 (used) amp I ever had. Then I bought a Victoria Bassman, used, for $1250. http://www.amazon.com/Victoria-45410-Tweed-4x10-Combo/dp/B0053H9HLI
    That was a great amp - better than the RI all around. Used that heavily for several years. Then bought a real Fender tweed Bassman. If you can afford the Vic, it's a great amp. I sold both RI and the Vic for the same money I paid for them.

12. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Mike, why do you prefer the older Fender reissue to the newer LTD one?

13. Budman2k

Budman2k Member

Chicago Blues Box Buddy Guy Signature. Best reissue/clone whatever you want to call it IMO.

Budman

14. budglo58

budglo58 Member

I had both and liked the 90s RI better too. The LTD to my ears were too bright IMO . Smoother sounding amp too. I ended up putting JAN Phillips 6l6 WGBs in mine .

15. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

The only differences between the earlier Fender reissue and the LTD... I think...

Earlier Fender reissue has Eminence blue frame P10R copy speakers and a birch? cabinet.
    LTD has a pine cabinet, bias adjustment pot and Jensen P10R reissue speakers.

The Eminence blue frame speakers do sound warmer/smoother but I would prefer having the pine cabinet and a bias adjustment pot.

16. bluesky636

bluesky636 Member

Its one of a kind.

Hint: Compare amp logo and my user name. :D

17. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Rounder tone

Absolutely!!!!!!

18. bluesky636

bluesky636 Member

I have the schematics for both. There are several circuit differences.

19. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Can you please post the differences?

20. bluesky636

bluesky636 Member

Sorry for the poor quality. Had to convert PDF to JPEG to post.

Biggest difference is in the power supply. Thought there were more differences. Guess not.

59 Bassman Reissue

[​IMG]

59 Bassman LTD Reissue

[​IMG]