Any bedroom amps nail crunchy tones?

Black 'n Tan

Looking for crunchy Nickelback/Creed/Chevelle/Linkin Park tones out of an amp that can get wailing at townhouse practice levels....

Braciola

Gold Supporting Member
Hmmm,
When I think Crunchy tones I think of AC/DC as a good example..........much less overdrive than the bands you listed.

billm408

Inexpensive with lot's of functionality at low volumes... I use a Roland Micro Cube in the house. Everything from Brit combo to Rectifier tones in a little tiny box and only about $100. Certainly not boutique or gig worthy, but does the job I ask of it.

Cotton

Bumbox Lead 1

But.... You'll need a metal pedal for some of the tones I'm hearing on Nickelback's latest.

Additionally, you can increase or decrease you volume by cab choice with the Bumbox. Loud Fanes in a 412 straight cab will be.... louder.

One 25 watt british style early breakup may in a 112 cab might be the exact ticket.... If so, I'd see if Scumback has such a beast...

Good luck! Cotton

MaxBoogie

The Mesa Express 5:25 or 5:50 should do it for ya. The combination of 5W of Class A power and 4 different voicings in addition to full tone controls should be able to do it.

HeeHaw

Inexpensive with lot's of functionality at low volumes... I use a Roland Micro Cube in the house. Everything from Brit combo to Rectifier tones in a little tiny box and only about $100. Certainly not boutique or gig worthy, but does the job I ask of it.
This gets closer to the sounds the origional post was asking about.

not really familiar with any of those artists, but here's a good sample of a Serena doing crunch duty:

http://krashjones.com/media/preview/08.mp3

all tracks are a Serena combo with a Private Jack, with a TS-808 on the lead track.

I am about to release a new low-watt amp with more wreck type inspiration, should end up with a lot more gain and thump than a regular Serena. The new amp is called "Littlerock". Stay tuned.

Phatman

Second the Rolland Micro Cube. If you want good tube tone you can just get on Pre/amp ?? and run the out put to a low wattage speaker ??? The other alternative for great Marshal OD is a Mojave Coyote with a metal pedal. This would give you the over the top tube metal OD... ??

PhaTz..

not really familiar with any of those artists, but here's a good sample of a Serena doing crunch duty:

http://krashjones.com/media/preview/08.mp3
Wow. That is a great song. Not to mention that the guitars sound AWESOME. :eek: Excellent use of feedback. NOICE. Im gonna check out the rest of the mp3s on the site.

Whats the going rate for a Serena? I just reserved a Peavey Classic 30, so I am not in the market, I am just curious. :crazy

EDIT: Crap, the .m3u files dont work. Am I doing something wrong? Sorry to hijack this thread.

oh, the old m3u files on there are from the last record. that track was a new track (rough mix) from the new record. look out for the new record later on.

Serena combo is $995. I have some new low-watt amps on the horizon that will be somewhat less. Targeting under $500 for one model.

Black 'n Tan

great ideas, gents ... thanks a lot!

I remember a few years ago the Tech 21's were getting a lot of press on this forum!

Trending Topics