Any Beefs with the BadCat CubII ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TimH, Jun 14, 2005.

1. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Try a Tele with a Broadcaster style pickup with the following settings:

Take the master out of the circuit
    Turn the volume up to a nice trebly, crunch (not icepick)
    Turn the treble to about noon
    Bass on 9-10 o'clock
    Add a pinch of verb

Now you're rockin'

2. TimH

TimH Member

tried that...great clean sound/edge of break up. Added a treble boost from the AC booster and BINGO....right there.

3. tthompso7

tthompso7 Guest

The cub really shines when you take the Master out of the circuit. Love those cleans on a tele/strat.

4. leodiditright

leodiditright Member

How many of you guys, are still playing their original Cub15 ?

They have a great clean sound, but what are you using for the overdriven sound ? To me the master volume is a weak point, I can get some gain with the volume up and the master way down, but as soon as I increase the master, it's getting loud very quickly, it's getting almost clean and gets dirty again at full volume and master, at that point even if it's only a 15watter, it's much too loud.

5. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

I had a 2000 Cub, it was fantastic, I even did an outdoor gig once with it and didn't have to mic it.

Great amps, built to last a lifetime.

Mike

6. Bigtone

Bigtone Member

Tim ,you may want to consider a Matchless C30, Wayyyyy more complex
    and airy in the topend than a Hotcat ,Cub and even Blackcat, Brent Mason, Dann Huff, Urban, Jeff King etc, Session guy after session guy, Bigtone

7. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

I have a Cub IIR 1x12 that's 2 or 3 years old. The tone stack is very versatile. I usually set the treble between 11:00 and 1:00 and the bass between 10:00 and noon. These settings work well with my Fender Strats and Teles, and my Gibsons and McCarty. I have been playing around with the Cut control a lot more lately, and leaving it up further than before -- now I set it between 11:00 and 2:00. Setting the Cut at noon or higher seems to open things up nicely even with single coils, but especially with HBs. There is a difference in tone between the MV engaged and MV disabled. They are both useful, but the disabled setting is bigger sounding and has a more satisfying feel. The reverb is very good, too.

My Cub responds extremely well to pedals. I get a great thick OD with either a BB Preamp or an LPB clone, especially when the Cub is set on the verge of breakup (gritty clean). I have several nice vintage Fender and Gibson amps, and I've owned or played several EL-84 combos, but the Cub is my favorite hands down.

8. I've had a CubII 1X12 NR for 2 and a half years now.
    Its really a great amp.
    Pretty versatile. I like that you can switch out the tone stack, it gives you a different, less aggresive tone. Very nice chimey cleans with single coils.
    Sometimes, the active tone controls are too thick for my tastes and can be picky with overdrive pedals, but maybe thats just me. I think it has plenty of volume, especially with quality boost and overdrive pedals.
    I've never had any problems with it though, and James is great with customer service.
    I really want to hear the new Panther amp, it sounds like a very cool amp.

Luke