Any Blackstar HT20 Users?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 8len8, Apr 18, 2016.

1. 8len8

8len8 Member

I'd be interested in hearing a classic rock sound clip out of an HT20 where V1 has been changed from a 12AX7 to a lower gain tube. Anyone ever done that?

2. AXEL276

AXEL276 Member

I did it to my HT5RC. It was an improvement! I also swapped the stop speaker with a vintage 30, made a bigger improvement.
    I had a Black Star 60 soloist. I did a tube roll but do not remember V1. Chances are I did the same there as well. The BK Stars have to much gain and not enough control on the knob.

3. 8len8

8len8 Member

I'm assuming you don't have any sound samples you could share :(?

4. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

We had one a few years ago but sold it during our move. I put a higher quality set of tubes in the amp and biased it correctly. With the isf towards the American side and the gain in the 7-8 range, it got a good classic rock crunch. We either had a greenback or v30 that helped a ton. Nice amp, one that I wished we were able to keep around.

5. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

I had a ht 5 for a short time. The 20 is different and has more modern gain. However I don't think changing the tube would make them sound better. The amp is basically a booster circuit into clipping diodes then into a cascaded 12ax7 gain stages. Keeping the gain low while keeping a high gain valve I assume would sound better as more gain would be clipping the valves rather than the diodes. The best tones I got was with the gain low and master high with a 12ax7.
    Dosnt answer you question I know

lowpaygigs likes this.
  6. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

This is an accurate description.

7. AXEL276

AXEL276 Member

I don't have before and after sound samples but it did make an improvement. Try it, can't hurt!

8. 8len8

8len8 Member

I don't own the amp yet. I'm thinking of buying one assuming the tube change will provide a better classic rock sound.

9. AXEL276

AXEL276 Member

Are you looking at the head or combo? If it's a combo the speaker swap will yield more of an improvement. I put Vintage 30's in both my BK Stars. Improvement on a scale of 1 - 10: Speaker swap 7, tube roll 3
    You should plan on doing both to optimize the tone. I got rid of my 60 watt but still have the 5 watt which I actually like quit a bit.
    Also an EQ pedal like the Boss GE-7 in the loop makes a big improvement.

10. 8len8

8len8 Member

I'll be getting the head. It's just for a backup amp, so it doesn't have to have the perfect tone.

11. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

i havent played that particular model but ive played several others and their tones throughout the sweep of the gain control are very good. theyre not an amp that only sounds 'right' in a few settings.

id be surprised if you need to change your v1 to achieve what you want to. btw the gain control and the isp i bet youll be pleased w the lower gain tones w a normal 12ax7. i prefer the lower gain settings on the british side sound of the isp.

i bought it on a whim for $150 but i swear i play my ht5 head (w my marshal 1936 cab) more than any of my other amps. love that little thing.

lowpaygigs likes this.
  12. AXEL276

AXEL276 Member

I think the HT5CR is the best of the lot!

13. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

I used one at a gig where the owner is volume sensitive. The gain was nice at moderate volume.