Any body got some strap recommendations!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dylheaven, Jan 30, 2020.

1. dylheaven

dylheaven Supporting Member

Looking for a sturdy comfortable strap ! . Maybe with locks.
    Thanks y”all

TVvoodoo and C-4 like this.
  2. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

DiMarzio all cotton.

Dominik likes this.
  3. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

I've been an Original Fuzz fan for several years. Before that I bought Souldier and Couch. The OF straps are a little pricey, but they have a lot of visual appeal, and they are very comfortable - their cotton backing is perfect for staying put without pulling. Here are a few of mine:
    [​IMG]

And here are some on guitars:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vashondan, rumstove, De - Fre and 4 others like this.
  4. Blue Lizard

Blue Lizard Member

Love me some Levy’s :aok

And a big fan of Ernie Ball Super Locks (previous user of Schallers).

noisebloom and Ray175 like this.
  5. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

I like to color match my straps with my guitars, and I have a lot of guitars, hence a lot of straps, and the best IMO are canvas straps like this . Where as most guitar straps are moderate to very smooth, these have a good friction to them, that helps prevent neck dive, and it holds the guitar where you want it, so that you don't have to support it as while as you play. Cotton straps have friction too, but tend to be heavier, or not quite as strong as the canvas straps. They're great for acoustic guitars too, which usually have a lot of neck dive, they're lot more secure and comfortable than the old school leather style straps.

People know I like straps, so I get a lot of them for brithdays abd Christmas too, and I end up getting really fancy straps that looks awesome, but they're slippery as all get out. One in particular, , looks really nice, cost almost $90, but it's extremely slippery. Any guitar has neck dive with polished wood straps, regardless of the neck weight or the center of gravity, the guitar will slip the moment you let go of it. The strap makes a nice wall ornament though.

LoadedGoat likes this.
  6. Ray175

Ray175 Member

Levys with suede back eliminates slippage and to some extent neck-dive. I have LOXX straplocks on all my guitars (10) and have never had any problems with them

7. Borealis

Borealis Supporting Member

TELECOLLECTOR likes this.
  8. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

There are be blank spots in your post where images and names should be - I think perhaps you accidentally used the Media button instead of the Image button when you posted.

9. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

I've gotten some nice leather straps from Walker & Williams. Good sturdy leather and many styles available at prices around $30; even the double-padded wide ones are only $40 or so. Also, they make extender tails for those of us who like them longer than average.

Been getting mine on eBay - a place called Passport Audio has a decent assortment.

10. MkIIC+

MkIIC+ Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

LM Products makes great straps similar to Levy’s but without the branding which I prefer.

Coopster likes this.
  11. edgie

edgie Member

Steyner straps from Germany. I discovered them when I bought my Deimel Firestar. They have some really nice, classy designs and the straps have a bit of gloss in them which makes their colors vivid. Bery comfortable and the underside has a non-slip surface.

12. Parlorman

Parlorman Silver Supporting Member

I love Lakota Leathers’ straps. They’re made of Bison or Elk leather and are amazingly comfortable. I’ve got them on my electrics and mandolin and I have a headstock mounted (dobro style) that I use on my acoustics if I have to play standing

https://www.lakotaleathers.com/

budglo58 and guitarwrench like this.
  13. Man_on_the_Silva_Mountain

Man_on_the_Silva_Mountain Member

Levy's mostly .. Although i do have 2 Native Son straps ... Theyre nice .. Pricey but .. Almost justifiable .. I really like the 3" strap .. Great for heavy guitars .. Quality is exceptional and at times i notice the smell of leather .. Which i like

14. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

Original Fuzz for me, I have three of them now and they’re all fantastic straps. I love the cotton backing, just the right amount of friction. Some nylon straps are way too slippery, some leather are way too grippy....these are just right, stays put but can easily adjust guitar position.

noisebloom likes this.
  15. Badtone

Badtone Silver Supporting Member

I like the Lock-It straps; very secure locking mechanism that's easy to deal with, can be used with any strap button, and available in a variety of materials and styles. The quality is high, IMHO. I tried one a few years back and they're all I use now. Worth a look...

LoadedGoat and sleewell like this.
  16. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later

Without knowing the type and weight of your guitar, I use Levy's leather 3 1/2" wide padded straps for all of my guitars.

As for locking mechanisms, I have installed either Strap lock mushroom-looking pins or Allparts strap pins, which do not require locks.

What I do when I need to lock a strap onto the guitar is to use the locking part and just push it into the Strap Lok pin on the guitar. This way, I don't have to have the locking part permanently on the strap, and I still get the locking effect.

noisebloom likes this.
  17. JWhite

JWhite Member

The Mono Betty is a decent strap.

noisebloom likes this.
  18. Losov

Losov Member

Wide. With padding.

I also use Strap Loks on all my guitars, but there are now many variations of that idea, all effective.

19. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

Re strap locks, all my guitars (except my acoustic) have Schaller locks on them. I haven't tried them yet but the new style of Schaller lock looks like it solves pretty much all the issues people have had with their products.

I put a Loxx strap lock on my granddaughter's electric - for her it's good because it's easier to put on and take off. But to install or de-install it you have to use a tiny spanner wrench that comes with it, which makes me nervous because it seems like it could easily be lost. And I understand it's supposed to be secure, but it doesn't look robust enough to survive strenuous stage maneuvers. It's an elegant design though. If the Schallers didn't exist I might be using these.

20. jujube

jujube Member

Levy is very good. Recently, got a 4" wide strap from Walker and Williams. Very good too. I use Dunlop Dual Lock.

noisebloom likes this.