Any body use a gun safe for guitars

chaddy45123

So I just bought a 80 gun safe with removable shelving to keep some guitars in does any body else do this and if so is humidity an issue.

LReese

So I just bought a 80 gun safe with removable shelving to keep some guitars in does any body else do this and if so is humidity an issue.
I'll bite...

Depends on where you put the safe. I'd just monitor conditions inside the safe with a Hygrometer and take action if you need to make adjustment.

I don't do that myself, but i've considered it. I just bought an insurance policy on my instruments.

chaddy45123

Was considering an insurance policy but the amount a year was almost as much as my house policy and I rarely take any thing real expensive out of the house any where they would be unsafe and I was at a local store and saw this for a little more than half off and thought I'd give it a try. As far as half the house it is quite large but not unmanageable about 6ft h x5 ft w x3ft d should hold a few guitars

Steve Dallas

Keep in mind that the fire rating on gun safes specify a pretty high temperature. There is a big difference between keeping a gun shootable and a guitar playable. Also, if you want to keep documents in a gun safe, you need to use a cool pouch or other insulated box.

rockinrobby

Senior member Professional musician ...
Double Platinum Member
Hell ya!! I have a 40 space gun safe Aka the "Fat Boy"!! I have a bunch of guns in there plus amo.. However I keep 10 vintage guitars in there when I'm on the road... It's got great protection for fire and you could never move this thing so I'm good!!! I keep it I'm my garage got all that I need for humility and temp..

Steve Dallas

I looked up some typical ratings for gun safes, but they vary widely by manufacturer. My safe is rated such that the internal temperature can reach 350 degrees after 30 minutes of exposure to a 1700 degree fire, which is a fairly average rating for a middle-of-the-road safe. However, some of the less expensive "fire" safes get as hot as 500 degrees inside. Neither can be good for a guitar, but both are better than nothing. Of course, if your safe is properly installed, it should provide good protection against theft.

custom53

I'll bite...

I don't do that myself, but i've considered it. I just bought an insurance policy on my instruments.
Can you share some details of how you insured your instruments..? Thru your homeowners or a speciality company..?

I do like the safe idea also..!

LReese

Can you share some details of how you insured your instruments..? Thru your homeowners or a speciality company..?

I do like the safe idea also..!
Through Heritage - My Auto/Renters was way too difficult to deal with - they wanted professional appraisals which is a no go.

Steve Dallas

I insure mine through my homeowners. With my company, as long as they are worth less than $25K, they will do it without appraisals.

Jon C

Gold Supporting Member
I insure mine through my homeowners. With my company, as long as they are worth less than $25K, they will do it without appraisals.
although you'll probably get a seriously depreciated value in case of a loss, rather than the agreed value or replacement cost that you'd get through Heritage...

chaddy45123

I looked up some typical ratings for gun safes, but they vary widely by manufacturer. My safe is rated such that the internal temperature can reach 350 degrees after 30 minutes of exposure to a 1700 degree fire, which is a fairly average rating for a middle-of-the-road safe. However, some of the less expensive "fire" safes get as hot as 500 degrees inside. Neither can be good for a guitar, but both are better than nothing. Of course, if your safe is properly installed, it should provide good protection against theft.
Well theft is my main concern but my safe has about he same raitings as yours so yes some fire protection is better than nothing and the website said if properly installed it is flood resistant wih triple seals on the door although I have my doubts on that one.

I just called my agent and upped the value of contents in my house to cover guitars and guns. It was his suggestion to do it this way and it saved me quite a bit!

Trotter

I use to have a large gun safe for a few of my high-dollar guitars... and specifically one that was a one-off and non-replaceable (which I recently sold).

But when I moved from Alaska to Washington I sold the safe... I just didn't want the hassle and cost of moving it. I now have a much smaller collection of guitars and full insurance on everything.

But yes, if you don't plan to move and have some high-dollar guitars, a nice safe is a great idea.

Trending Topics