Any Bogner Shiva Love?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hardys, Oct 6, 2005.

1. hardys

hardys Member

Hey, I know this amp has been around for awhile, but I feel like spouting off and am curious how others feel about the Shiva.

I've had my Shiva EL-34 head & oversized 2x12, V30 Bogner cab for about 2 years now. For the past year I've been playing allot of small gigs, so I've been taking my grab-and-go Maz 38 1x12 combo for the majority of my gigs.

My Shiva has been gathering dust in my home studio. Last night I plugged into it and I just smiled from ear-to-ear. That amp is simply one of the greatest sounding, most versitile amps I've ever played through. Great clean channel, great OD channel...it sounds way fat & huge.

My Strat and PRS both sound godlike through it. It does everything from Jazz to Blues to Classic rock and more. Nice fat reverb too. This amp has to be the best 2 channel amp ever made!:dude

Can I get a witness?

2. s_brink

s_brink Member

I bought my EL34 Shiva in 2000 and have been using it steady for recording and live work ever since. Bought a few amps and tried a bunch since then, but I just keep going back to the Bogner. Sounds great and it's a really good fit for me.

I use it with either a Jenkins Hwy 61 2x12 or a Jenkins 1x12.

I used it outdoors last weekend in front of about 3000 people. Sounded great, as always, and gave me zero problems.

In the long run it's been about the best gear buy I've ever made.

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I owned 3 of them over the years and always loved them, and will own another.

I sold it only because I was hurting on money at the time.

4. dave s

dave s Member

Played a Shiva EL34 Reverb head sitting on a Bogner open-back 410 cab for about 2 years. The entire rig was loaded into a roadcase (head on cab) that weight about 150 lbs.

I couldn't get anyone in my band to help move the darned rig, so both head and cab were sold.

The Shiva did me well. Actually, it was the first amp that I'd ever played through that when I ripped into a solo I thought to myself, 'wow ... that's what guitar solos on CDs sound like!'

The other deciding factor was that the Shiva was more 'refined' sounding than my current gig needed at the time. Needing a more 'vintage' or 'roots' style tone, I decided to go back to a Marshall JCM800 rig and a Fender Twin as a backup amp.

Still have the Marshall rig as a backup to a Matchless Clubman head and matching 212 cab as my #1 gigging amp now.

Probably wouldn't go back to the Shiva for the same reasons today--too refined and pristine of an amp than I want or need.

dave

5. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I have owned a Shiva 112 combo(EL34/verb),and the same in head form.
    Dig the amp!
    Just played through one thispast weekend to demo some Les Paul Goldtops at Makenmusic.
    Heavy? Yes.
    Overdrive channel kind of a one trick pony? Yes. (but it's a trick that I really like with humbuckers! Plus, the clean channel loves pedals, and the efx loop in the amp is stellar!)

Overall...I'm like Scott Peterson. I will own another someday. Probably the 112 combo again.

Reinhold B. rules!
    S>
    j

6. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    Just played my first 2 Shivas at MakeNMusic--Didn't have much time to REEEEELY dig in, compare, etc.....
    1. Ported 1-12" w/ EL34's, V30 and Verb
    2. Open 2-12" w/6L6, V30's, and Verb

Loved both--What's your experience with the different configurations---What's best for what?? Thanks, Jeff

7. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I've also played both EL34 and 6L6 versions of the Shiva.
    My personal preference is for the EL34with reverb. The overdrive channel on the 6L6 version sounds a bit grindy to me.
    The cleans sound great on both versions, but again I prefer the EL34 version. If you play single coil guitars mainly,you may be good to go with the 6L6 version. If you play humbuckers, or both buckers and single coils...the EL34 version would get you there. Of course, personal preferences are exactly that, and YMMV...
    If you have cabs with V30's or H30's (or both), get the head.
    If you want a grab(and heave) and go package, the 112 combo is nice. Hope you have a strong back for the 112 or 212(!) combos.

My .02,
    S.
    j

8. gregc

gregc Member

I've owned two of em; sold one and traded the other. Another will come around cause they're a great amp and I miss them right from the moment they're gone. My preblem is I see variety as the spice of life and I can't resist to try sum'tin new.
    gregc

9. kselbee

kselbee Member

I used to own the 1X12 combo and just couldn't deal with the weight so I sold it. I really regretted that so I bought the head version a couple months ago. It's a MONSTER! I LOVE that amp! I do wish the OD channel had more bite but I can get it there with pedals. The BEST clean I've heard and the reverb is killer. Best amp I've played through yet.

10. kram21

kram21 Member

I am very pleased with my shiva 6l6 head with a 1x12 ported bogner cab with a celes cl-80. This has fender like cleans and smooth distortion,ilided the od channel on the 6l6 better than the el34==just personal preference as tone is so subjective. I actually like this amp for jazz guitar and clean stuff,Both tube versions of the shiva are winners

11. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

The 6L6 1x12 ported combo was the first amp to really take my breath away from the moment I plugged in. Played one the day I bought my Rivera Rake Reverb head and cab. Sounded like the voice of god to me. Although I couldn't "justify" the cost that day, it only took a month before I succumbed and grabbed one used (keeping the Rake, naturally) therby spending almost twice what it would have cost if I'd just bought it that day instead of the Rake.
    A two rock, fuchs, constellation, later...I still can't bring myself to sell it. Sparkling, breathy cleans and a rich od with a great MV to boot. :dude

12. hardys

hardys Member

Amen brother!;)

13. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

I have an EL-34 Shiva head w/reverb that I use with a VHT 2x10 Fat Bottom cabinet. I have yet to find another amp that sounds as good, with the possible exception of my `95 Matchless Chieftain 2x10 combo.

Don't care too much for the effects loop, though...

14. Ken

Ken Member

The Lead Guitarist from the ROCKSTAR:INXS TV show's house band used the Shiva the entire show and he sounds excellent!

His name is Rafael Moreira.

Here is the link to his gear page:
    http://www.rafaelmoreira.com/gear.htm

I have had the EL34 Bogner Shiva head and big 2x12 cab for a few yeads now and I am very pleased...

TNJ and few others from the old PRS forum turned me on to the amp...Thanks Guys!!

15. LilSteve

LilSteve Member

Stop it! this thread is making jonseing for a new amp and the Shiva is in my top 3 picks. :D

16. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

Ahhhh

It's those strange little serial number symbols on the back...

They're calling out to you....."you know you want me....."

Shiva; designed by aliens and brought to you by Bogner.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

17. Slick51

Slick51 Colonel Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Northwest Corner of NC, 5 mi from MerleFest
    Mike

Can you post some directions to build that cable? I had a schematic somewhere, but lost it. I've recently decided to put my time-based effects in the loop, and any help with the cable would be appreciated. I have all the parts (Mogami cable, Neutrik plugs, resistors, shrink tube, etc.).

Thanks in advance
    Ben

18. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

I dig mine too, but its a bit dark and smooth so I might unload it in favor of something a little edgier with more grit, I was thinking a Splawn Quick Rod with a 3rd gear.

I changed my Shiva to Mesa tolex, Marshall wheat grill, and white piping. Likewise the Mesa cab (with two V30's/H30's in an X-pattern) got the Marshall wheat and white piping to match the set.

[​IMG]

19. Slick51

Slick51 Colonel Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Northwest Corner of NC, 5 mi from MerleFest