Any books like "Stick Control", but for guitar?

cantstoplt021

I'm curious if there are any books like stick control, but for guitar. If you aren't familiar with the book stick control, it's a technique book for drummers that tons of people swear by. It's one of the best books out there for stick control technique. I'm learning drums and after using this book for about 3 weeks I've already become so much better.

Anyway I'm wondering if there's a technique book like this, but for guitar? Something that if you spend a half an hour a day working through you will see results quickly. I want to be able to play a lot faster then I currently can. Not looking to shred just want to be able to play some SRV/Hendrix/Mayer blues stuff. Are there any good overall technique books for the guitarist?

Clifford-D

I'm curious if there are any books like stick control, but for guitar. If you aren't familiar with the book stick control, it's a technique book for drummers that tons of people swear by. It's one of the best books out there for stick control technique. I'm learning drums and after using this book for about 3 weeks I've already become so much better.

Anyway I'm wondering if there's a technique book like this, but for guitar? Something that if you spend a half an hour a day working through you will see results quickly. I want to be able to play a lot faster then I currently can. Not looking to shred just want to be able to play some SRV/Hendrix/Mayer blues stuff. Are there any good overall technique books for the guitarist?
Lol, guitar has to be the #1 instrument books are made for. There is every book imaginable available. I personally own like 300 or so collected over the years.

Eric Johnson has a video and he delves into good technique. I'm not much of a EJ fan but as a teacher of the techniques you seek he would be excellent. He has a way of talking and showing you.

EJ is just one of the great teachers out there, this thread will reveal others.

Oh yea, do it all with the all important metronome!!

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
Right-Hand Development For Jazz Guitar by Renard D. Hoover
Guitar Lore by Dennis Sandole

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
There are some good technique books out there. Go to your local store and browse for something that looks inspiring.

In light of what you are into, I'd simply look into learning note-for-note stuff from those artists. Build your technique out of real music. Find a great teacher to get you on the fast track.

The Eric Johnson suggestion is a good one. Great technique in a blues-based style. His old video has great info.

Also, don't toss your drum books. I've worked from that Stick Control book. The Bellson book and the Ted Reed too. The Kraus Mallet Method also. Arbans Trumpet book, Kreutzer....

Trending Topics