Any Boss fans left?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by redpill, Jan 21, 2008.

1. redpill

redpill Member

I did a bunch of pedal shopping in the past two days, and may do some more tomorrow. For ease of use, variety and value I kept finding myself going back to the cliche of the pedal world, the single effect compact Boss pedals. Buffered bypass, no presets, no MIDI, nothing boutique or unobtainium about them. No analog chorus or delay. And yet I like them. Wacky, eh? Maybe my ears got trained when I was young and had never heard anything but Boss and DOD pedals.

In TGP world, are there still Boss lovers out there amidst the amazing array of high end effects?

2. utterhack

utterhack Gold Supporting Member

I think Prince still uses Boss...

3. homestar_kevin

homestar_kevin Member

I love my boss pedals more than my past 2 girlfriends. :/

4. jonathansuhr

jonathansuhr Member

I loved the SD1, but I love my modded SD1 even more.

The DD5 is my favorite pedal of all time.

5. starfly59

starfly59 Member

Of the current production stuff, I like the TR2 tremolo, SD1 overdrive,blues driver, Pitch Shifter PS5, DD20 delay, rotary ensemble. Oh, and they make the best tuner IMO. :)

I've used Boss pedals for the last 12 years and they have never let me down. Great live gear for sure, and when they get modded by Analogman and Keeley they're fantastic all around pedals.

6. Ozro4

Ozro4 Member

I like 'em. Great construction, reliability, and mostly great sounds. DD-5 is awesome. PS5, TU2, DS1, and I fell in love with the CH1 today. They make some really great stuff. There's a reason why they've been a household name in pedals forever.

7. teleman55

teleman55 Member

I love Boss pedals. I used a few tonight. Used the Tu2 tuner, the sd1 (sometimes I use this, sometimes a tubescreamer, tonight the sd1). Used my ce2 (it's got mojo). Also I like my Keeley mod ds1, my ab2 when i use 2 amps, and a dd6. Mostly i use a danecho, but the dd6 is good when i want to go over the edge. Also, I never got much from a compressor but the cs3 is the only only one I've ever found useful. Never had a problem with these buffer pedals mixing with my bypass pedals, except maybe with an octavia. also, i like their acoustic simulator. it has it's limitations but comes in handy with a one guitar band. You mentioned DOD...got an envelope filter, old fuzz, and an old chorus by them...underrated pedals.

8. PeelingPaint98

PeelingPaint98 Member

I really like my Metal Zone

9. aarockla

aarockla Member

don't go anywhere without my tu-2.

also bd-2 modded = great great great OD.
    and of course dd-3, dd-5 very solid delays

10. redpill

redpill Member

Glad to see there's still some love for the unglamorous production units. I'm building a shopping list. A TU-2 tuner, a LS-2 Line Selector, and a GE-7 Equalizer are already on it, purely for utility purposes. I'm also mulling over roundabout a dozen total (I'd never get that many, but I'll get a subset), including a CH-1, SD-1, DS-1, AW-3, AC-3, and so on. Fun stuff.

11. seafoamer

seafoamer Member

12. Occam

Occam Member

I like the dd-20 quite a bit and the fz-2 but I like the fz-2 because it sounds awful but in a very cool way.

13. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

Great fun with Boss pedals!

[​IMG]

14. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

Try telling my DM-3 that! :eek: :D

There aren't too many modern Boss pedals I care for, personally, but there are certainly some solid pieces in the current lineup (as well as the truly great DD-20 and a few others), and, going back in time, quite a number of very important and occasionally gorgeously toned pedals.

On top of that, they're cheap, available, and generally easy to mod. Can't hold too much against them.

15. Keith SIO

Keith SIO Member

my ce-2 will always have a spot on my board.

16. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

[​IMG]

they make up a large percentage of my workhorse board.

17. redpill

redpill Member

Yes, I should have been specific and talked about current or at least recent models. Nothing against older ones, of course, but I didn't want to get into another vintage thing. Just taking a pedestrian angle on it all.

And Pup, that's some serious Bossage you've got there!

18. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Have and use BD-2, DD20, PH-2. Boss has made some quality stuff over the years. I'd love to try the RE-20...

19. Greenbacker

Greenbacker Member

Yeah. Nothing wrong with the BD-2. But Keeley does make it fantastic.

20. Steven

Steven Member

I´m still using my DD20. And my modded BD-2 is still the best low gain OD pedal I´ve ever found - despite the fact that it doesnt cost a fortune, its not hand wired and its not TB. I trust my ears on this one.