Any Boss PH-2 Super Phaser users?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AqueousView11, Apr 13, 2008.

1. AqueousView11

AqueousView11 Member

I just picked one up off the 'bay for $40, which I think is a pretty good deal. My favorite guitarist, Mike Einziger of Incubus, uses two of these and gets some awesome spacey tones. I was just wondering if anyone else uses this. Also, does anyone know if it is digital or analog. It is made in Taiwan

2. wren

wren Member

They're analog.

I have one. I use it live because it sounds thin, and therefore cuts through (or past) a loud bassist quite nicely. I wouldn't want to record with it if I was using it for a traditional phase sound, but I use it all the time when I want a doesn't-sound-quite-like-a-guitar special effect sort of sound.

3. AqueousView11

AqueousView11 Member

Yea i already have a Phase 90 for all the normal phasing stuff, but I'm looking to get some of the tones Mike does.

4. AqueousView11

AqueousView11 Member

5. brewtality

brewtality Member

I had one. It doesn't sound like a traditional phaser e.g. a Small Stone or a Phase 90. It has its own unique voice, and I dug it. But I had to return it to the guy who sold me because it kept giving this strange bird chirping sound in the background. Imagine this:

guitar - SD1 - PH2 - english muffn - amp (9v's powered by 1spot, no weird noise)
    guitar - wah - PH2 - english muffn - amp (9v's by 1spot, weird noise)
    guitar - PH2 - english muff - DE7 - amp (9v's by 1spot, weird noise)
    guitar - PH2 - english muff - DE7 - amp (PH2 with own PSU, other pedals 1spot, weird noise)
    guitar - wah - PH2 - english muff - DE7 - amp (DE7 and wah with independent PSU's/batteries, only PH2 uses 1spot, NO weird noise)

wtf?! I can only use my PH2 to work properly if I chain it with my SD1 and my English Muff. any other pedal I chain it with, it gives this weird sound.

6. AqueousView11

AqueousView11 Member

That's pretty weird, I heard the bypass was pretty poor too but I'm planning on getting some stuff from loopmaster soon so maybe that will help.

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Member

I am a 20 year user of the Small Stone. Mine was broken once and I borrowed a Super Phaser for a while. I thought it was pretty good, but thinner or brighter than the SS sound I was used to. If I remember right, it does have more controls so it has more variety.

8. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I like the MIJ PH-2. It's a 12 step phaser, so it can do some things your classic 8 steppers can't. But it will never be the thick luscious phaser of some of it's contemporaries.

9. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I've had one for 20+ years, was my first pedal. Very cool phaser and still occasionally use it although for traditional phase sounds I usually go to my PH-1r. Mark Knopfler used the PH-2 for a few years in the 80's...

10. AqueousView11

AqueousView11 Member

I just got it in the mail today, so far pretty cool sounds. Any recommended settings?

11. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

I have one too, and I really like it. It's a MIJ as well. I just picked up a late 90's SS here on the emporium and am looking forward to comparing the two.

12. TheBigShow421

TheBigShow421 Member

I'm a big Mike fan myself, I actually stack my PH-2 against a PH-1r to really get some sweet space like tones. Try throwing in a delay and then you really have something going. :BEER

13. AqueousView11

AqueousView11 Member

What settings do you guys use?

14. willieboy11

willieboy11 Member

if you like mike's playing then you'll want to either have it on mode I, rate 1 o'clock, depth 2 o'clock and res 3 o'clock, mike uses that setting for when he does volume swells on songs like pardon me and nice to know you. the other setting he uses is mode II, rate 8 o'clock, depth and res maxed out, that will give you the sound for the breakdown in the warmth and part of the solo in sick sad little world (when he does the tremelo picking)

hope this helped out, if your looking to play some incubus songs definatly check out the incubus cover project on youtube, he'll tell you anything you need to know except for the tabs

15. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

I've always been intrigued how mike gets his modulation effects to stand out so well in the mix. I wonder if he uses a compressor for that. I used to do some Incubus covers using a PH2 and Ibanez flanger (often with both of them one at the same time).

16. Fitzer

Fitzer Member

Bumping an old thread. I bought one tonight at Guitar Center, for $40 which I thought wasa good deal considering the average Ebay price is 60-70. It's a great companion to my Phase 45. I have extremely subtle phase and extremely over the top swirl both at my disposal whenever I feel like it. It's a great little box, and even though I'm not a cork sniffing tone snob, I do like the fact that it is analog.

17. Led Sabblin

Led Sabblin Member

Mode 2 is way too much. It's a cool pedal but the PH-1r is sweeter

18. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

Robert Smith of the Cure used them a lot - especially live.

19. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

HA! I have a PH-3 that I pull out occasionally. Alot of peeps crack on the PH-3, but I think it sounds every bit as good as the PH-2.

20. Fitzer

Fitzer Member

I agree. I like the tap tempo and the weird multi-pitch setting on that one.