Any Boutique amp co's doing a Super Reverb clone?

coolhand78

I'm thinking about adding a SR to my rig and wondering if there are any boutique amp companies making 66 SR clones, ptp handwired, decent NOS valves and decent speakers etc...

cheers

Luke

davess23

You might want to check with Bob at DST Engineering. Last time I visited his shop he was prototyping a SR style amp that sounded very, very nice.

Skip62

Well there not exactly clones, but Category 5 makes a 2 channel amp that's based on the Supers. Channel 1 is based on a brownface Deluxe and Channel 2 is based on a blackface Super. Incredible sounding amps.

Guitarzan

While not a clone, I've been playing Supers all my life and still have a great one, but my Fargen Blackbird 40w smokes it.

57special

Supporting Member
Allen, Chicago Bluesbox, Blueverb. I'm sure there are more. Thing is, you can get a used Silverface for about $600. Stick a pedal in fromt of it, and it's pretty hard to beat.

es125luv

Allen, Chicago Bluesbox, Blueverb. I'm sure there are more. Thing is, you can get a used Silverface for about $600. Stick a pedal in fromt of it, and it's pretty hard to beat.

I have a Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse Head that is dying to find a home...:D

this is the updated Super Reverb SUPREME.

fjam82

Be sure to check out Allen Amplification's offerings.
I've been thinking about this allen old flame for a while, but there really aren't many clips I can find on the net. There are a few pretty clean clips, but nothing pure pure clean with nice reverb ,, it'd be nice to hear how this amp takes pedals as well..

will this amp get you into SRV territory with a tubescreamer type pedal? I'm building a home-made 4-10 bassman cab w 2 celestion g10's and 2 lil buddy's... would that be a good fit for that amp?

SarasotaSlim

I've used various Fenders including BFSR's for years and the Allen Encore 4x10 is a great alternative. New - dependable and it has a few tonal options that come in handy when you wanna go beyond the stock Fendery sound. I bought one with a 12 after hearing a friend's 4x10 - the 4x10 is a lot like a BFSR. I like it better.

karmadave

Supporting Member
Here's a couple of Utube clips of Steve Freund playing through his Old Flame 2x10 combo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkH_OZU7NrE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z_9gsxhOx8

You can't see the amp, but I was at this Jam and he is definitely playing through an Old Flame.

Old Flame + Tube Screamer will most definitely get you into SRV territory. Not sure about the speakers, but Stevie used JBL's in his SR so probably using for fairly bright, high-powered speakers is the way to go. Allen is using Eminence Copperheads so this may be a good choice. In any case, Old Flames are GREAT amps. Loud and punchy. Dial up the 'Raw' knob and you are in Tweed territory :)

-KD

FFTT

Category 5, Vintone Circuits, VVT Amps, Blankenship, Allen,
and check out the new 6L6 amp from 65 Amps and of course
the Divided By 13 FTR 37.
Bad Cat is also making a new AB 50

I'm sure I'm missing someone here, but you have lots of great high quality
options.

keninsyr

Here's a couple of Utube clips of Steve Freund playing through his Old Flame 2x10 combo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkH_OZU7NrE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z_9gsxhOx8

You can't see the amp, but I was at this Jam and he is definitely playing through an Old Flame.

Old Flame + Tube Screamer will most definitely get you into SRV territory. Not sure about the speakers, but Stevie used JBL's in his SR so probably using for fairly bright, high-powered speakers is the way to go. Allen is using Eminence Copperheads so this may be a good choice. In any case, Old Flames are GREAT amps. Loud and punchy. Dial up the 'Raw' knob and you are in Tweed territory :)

-KD
I have an older Old Flame and a brand new one. David is actually using Rajun Cajun's in his new ones and I love the way they sound. Not overly bright but very punchy. The older amp has Allen's own speakers which are not as powerful but are very warm and balanced. Running them both together is quite a treat. The Old Flame will certainly fit your needs.

tlainhart

I've been thinking about this allen old flame for a while, but there really aren't many clips I can find on the net. There are a few pretty clean clips, but nothing pure pure clean with nice reverb ,, it'd be nice to hear how this amp takes pedals as well..
Jack Zucker has a bunch of youtube clips that were done with an Old Flame head. You could ask him (jzucker here) specifically which ones, if the descriptions aren't clear. Some clips are Axe-FX, some are Old Flame.

pjrhd28

Silver Supporting Member
Give Smitty at Blueverb amps a call. I think he'll even build it as a head and cabinet (if you want) so you can lift it.

Trending Topics