Any Boutiques Covering Tweed and Blackface Reverb Tones.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by redplexi, Feb 7, 2006.

1. redplexi

redplexi Member

Any Boutiques Covering Tweed and Blackface Reverb Tones all in one Package. Looking for the Tweed Breakup and Grit, along with the Blackface Headroom with Lush Reverb.

2. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Oh yeah - the Fargen Dual Classic. I own one - the 6L6 version - and LOVE it. The first channel is Ben's signature Blackface, and is essentially a Super Reverb. The second channel with a master volume can be dialed in from Tweed Bassman clean to a Bassman pushed hard to a cranked JTM 45. The reverb is excellent. I cannot recommend this amp highly enough, given what you are looking for.

3. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    Fargen amps are awesome so that is a great recommendation. I love my Tone King Meteor II for what you are looking for. Just one of the best amps around.

Chuck

4. mude

mude Supporting Member

The Tone King Meteor II would be worth checking. Probably not a pure Tweed second channel, but it might be close to what you are looking for. Great amp any way you look at it IMO.

Evan.

5. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I always felt the Carr Rambler that I used to own sounded like a cross between a tweed and blackface Fender. Another amp that comes to mind is the Victoria Victorilux but that is strictly from what I've read as I haven't played one for myself.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The Kendricks with the Texas Tea control supposedly do this...

7. Seegs

Seegs Member

Fargen Dual Classic combo owner since 2001...pretty much stopped looking for amps after I got this one...can use 6L6's or 6V6's...

hardest problem your going to face is what speakers to use...I generally like BF tones with ceramics and alnicos with tweed tones...it took me about 2 years and a lot of experimenting to get this right...

or have Ben put two seperate preamps and two power sections in the same amp each feeding different speakers or cabs...

mine has different preamp circuits but shares a power section...

if I had it to do again I would have opted for the above configuaration with a variable neg. feedback (increase headroom) control on the BF side....

Chow,
    Seegs

8. Roe

Roe Member

it ain't boutique, but riveras do ok tweed and blackface tones

9. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

What you're asking for isn't really possible for one simple reason: speakers. Tweed grit is in part the product of low watt alnico speakers being pushed; bf reverb lushness is in part the product of higher efficiency ceramics with a greater treble freq. range (which typically make a real tweed sound a bit harsh when pushed). And then there's the whole issue of power amp efficiency- 45w of tweed Bassman doesn't equal 45w of bf Bassman where clean headroom & compression at (X) volume are concerned.

Seegs' suggestion of a 2-fer head with separate cabs (b/c loading both types onto the same baffle is asking for frq. cancellation problems) is the only real resolution to the above, but you're talking about lugging an amp with most of the weight of two head chasses. Not sure that's more convenient that a tweed Deluxe, a bfDR and an a/b box.

10. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Victorias are real nice. Haven't tried the Fargens

11. MVrider

MVrider Member

Here's a little experiment: just plug the output of a tweed Deluxe into a Deluxe Reverb cabinet and speaker then do the reverse or plug the output of a tweed Bassman into a Super Reverb's cabinet and speakers then reverse the procedure. Now ask yourself... Do YOU think the differences lie more in the circuits or the cabinet/speakers?

12. spencerbk

spencerbk Member

Tone King indeed! Another nice option would be to find a used Comet (the predecessor of the Meteor) around for a good price.

13. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

John Nau is building me an amp much like the one you describe. Blackface clean channel with a Tweed Bassman/Plexi lead channel. Ask this question again in a couple months and I'll tell you how it works out.

By the way, I'm looking at loading it with an alnico Weber Blue Dog and a ceramic Silver Bell (maybe alnico, though). John recommended a Red Fang and has had great success with them in many of his amps.