Any Budda wah tweaks/mods?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by infiniteposse, Mar 18, 2008.

1. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Hi all-

I've decided to sit down with my Budda Bud wah and really figure out how I feel about it. Wah isn't an effect I use all of the time, so having a wah around and feeling so so about it isn't the end of the world. I'm really in the mood to use it though and I'm feeling subconscious resistance, so I've decided to just try and figure out if I'm just using a pedal that's just not a good fit for me or not.

-----------------------------

What I like about it:

- Built like a brick-house
    - True Bypass
    - Fundamentally like the sound... (I bought this particular wah because I was a fan of Doug Marsh of Built to Spill. I'm also a fan of Hendrix and also the Smiths, so I like subtle use of the wah for tonal/texture changes as well.)
    - No real volume boost or cut
    - AC jack built-in

Not liking:

- High-end almost rips my head off (and my ears still hurt) - Is this adjustable? If so, how?
    - Loss of low-end, which may just be life with a wah-pedal.
    ---------------

The "don't like" items are both biggies for me. I'd ideally like to tweak the expensive wah I already have to deal with these issues. Is it possible?

I'd also love to hear what guitar/amp combo's your Budda's seem to like. I was just playing my CS 63 Tele through my Rambler, so that's a bit of a clean machine with lots of clean highs just waiting to be accentuated.

Any feedback greatly appreciated?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Anyone got any ideas?

I've trudged through the Budda threads, but there's not a lot of info about messing with these out there.

Thx.

3. drolling

drolling Member

Start with losening the nut that holds the pot and rotate it a couple of teeth back so the sweep doesn't get as shrill at the top of the throw. Cheap, easy & reversable!

That muffled, muddy, bassyness in the heel down position is pretty common to many wahs - I'm sure there's got to be something you could swap out on the PCB ~ inductor? caps?? resistors?? anyone???

4. gibson60

gibson60 Member

5. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Yep...this could solve all your problems. You are simply moving the pot so your wah covers a slightly lower range. I did the same thing with my Budda when I got it. The easiest and safest way to do it is to loosen the screw on that white plastic piece that turns the pot instead of loosening the nut on the pot. Then as drolling said, move and tighten. Do this until you have it right where you want it.

6. RDM

RDM Senior Member

What other pedals are you using with your wah? Have you tried just the wah by itself? I've never heard too much high and not enough lows with a Budda. Try it alone, and see if the issue duplicates. If not...it may be an issue with the pedals in your signal chain.

Just an idea.

7. drolling

drolling Member

Hey - I've never actually done this - only swapped out a dead pot on an old Crybaby.

Thanks for posting, LowWatt! I may try your trick on my Bud at practice tonight.. Sounds A LOT easier than what I suggested:BEER

8. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

It is. No need to even fully remove the screw. You just loosen it enough that you can move the pot.

9. stonevibe

stonevibe Member

Try turning down the tone pot on your guitar. That'll get rid off the shrill top end.

10. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Sure would be nice to have a mod to switch it to a volume pedal ;-)

11. LesPaulPlayer

LesPaulPlayer Member

The Budda wah is able to achieve the entire sweep range of the pot in the stock configuration. When the pot is rotated back a tooth or two from stock, the treble frequencies do indeed become softer, but there is no more bass range to be added on the opposite end of the sweep. So what happens is that the treble becomes less, but the bass doesn't change resulting in even a smaller sweep range than the already relatively narrow range the Budda wah has as well as a dead spot at the bass end of the sweep where some of the pot rotation doesn't cause a change in sound!

I'd email Jeff Bober, the Budda wah designer, and ask him what you're looking for. He can recommend part swaps and values to get the sound you're looking for. He once recommend a resister value to me to remove the slight boost the Bud-wah has when on. I think he'll be able to hook you up.

12. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Thanks very much for the feedback. I decided to just sell the Budda and pickup an RMC3 as I have a tendency to spend lots of $$$ just tweeking things endlessly. This way I'm paying for something that's easy to tweek:)

13. playon

playon Supporting Member

You will be tweaking endlessly with the RMC3 though... (I speak from experience!);)

14. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Yeah I know. It's better than me buying 5 wahs though, which I could also see me doing:) Thanks for all of the feedback guys. Wah on!