Any BYOC Mouse users?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RDM, Mar 7, 2008.

1. RDM

RDM Senior Member

I've been going through lots of older threads about the older Mighty Mouse with a 3-way switch, but I'm curious about the newer pedal, the one with the 5-way rotary. I've read that it does the old big-box Rat fuzz pretty well, and (this may be incorrect) but can get somewhat close to a Landgraff MO'd?

****Not sure if where I read the past part was an accurate source....so don't get all pissy if it's not true.****

Anyone have one of these? What are your thoughts? Seems like a good deal for about $95.

2. Deaj

Deaj Member

I recently built a ver.2 BYOC Mighty Mouse kit. The rotary switch is a 6-way - the first three positions are: 1) symmetrical diode clipping a'la vintage RAT, 2) LED clipping like the Turbo RAT, and 3) asymmetrical diode clipping. Positions 4,5, & 6 relocate the clipping diodes to the feedback loop of the op-amp (same as the Tube Screamer) giving the Mighty Mouse more of an overdrive character: 4) symmetrical diodes, 5) asymmetrical diodes, and 6) MOSFET's.

All six modes sound great and position 1 does sound very much like a vintage RAT.

The Landgraff MO'D doesn't differ much from a vintage RAT except in parts type. The parts values appear to be the same. I modded my Mighty Mouse to MO'D specs and the difference was subtle but not insignificant.

I posted detailed instructions to mod the Mighty Mouse to MO'D specs on the BYOC forum in this thread.

Hope this answers your questions. :)

3. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Sweet bajesus! That's a great thread. I was just starting to look at the BYOC forum. Looks like the pedal is well worth the price then.

4. Deaj

Deaj Member

I am of the opinion that the Mighty Mouse kit is definitely worth the asking price. I've found this to be the case with other BYOC kits as well. They are very well sorted and documented projects that result in great sounding pedals. If you're considering it I'd encourage you to move forward.

Check your PM. :)

5. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Waiting on that PM.

I miss my old Rat. I'm definetly going to have to pick one of these up. Thanks!

6. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Just put in my order along with the parts from Mouser. Will report back with findings next week

7. thewex

thewex Member

me too, MM kit arrived today and parts from mouser are already sitting on my work space!

8. RDM

RDM Senior Member

My kit arrived yesterday as well as the parts from Mouser. I'm about 90% done with the biuld. I'm painting the box now...and will post a review when I'm done.

9. thewex

thewex Member

me too RDM, i should finish it up & paint this weekend. I'm excited! unless i plug it in and it doesnt work or something, then i'll cry. my 1st build and all ya know :)

10. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

How did your first build go? I'm interested but have never built a pedal so I don't want to get over my head and waste the $100 if I can have it prebuilt for $139 correctly.

11. steelplayer

steelplayer Member

Many thanks for the direction to your post on the BYOC forum and thanks for sharing that great info. You've definitely inspired me to order one!:BEER

12. thewex

thewex Member

i'll let you know when i'm totally complete :) but as long as you have a little patience you can do it. im confident in that. i've learned a ton just since i built the "confidence booster" and now 1/2 way through the MM. really, its a great deal because if i you try the confidence booster and you dont feel good about it, then you return the kit you bought and get your money back. i say go for it!

13. Deaj

Deaj Member

My pleasure! :)

14. RDM

RDM Senior Member

I've been soldering for years and this was my first actual pedal build. It was cool, and really easy. Took me about 3 hours total. Not sure if that's a long time or not.....but I have OCD so I check, double check and tripple check everything before soldering.

15. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

RDM, that's the only way to do it bro. Unless you are good at trouble shooting. A guy who's new to building is MUCH better served by spending extra time building (and some guys even check every cap and resistor before installing) than to try to troubleshoot later.

Glad you are digging it. Looks like a cool pedal. Well, if Deaj says it's good, IT'S GOOD! That I know. :AOK

16. johnny5

johnny5 Supporting Member

I built one. I am not sure if it sounds like a RAT exactly but it sounds pretty good. It's has tons of drive and think it's best suited for plugging into a relatively clean amp. Not sure if it's my cup of tea....

I have also a BYOC fuzz and delay which I love

17. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Well.....my pedal doesn't work. Too tired to troubleshoot. Will be hitting the BYOC forum in the morning that's for sure...haha.

18. tubetone74

tubetone74 Supporting Member

I built one. Heavy distortion can be had. I have built 6 BYOC's. All rival "booteek" pedals that cost much more. Not my favorite tone wise. Gave it to my son who plays emo/thrash.

19. Deaj

Deaj Member

Bummer!

Update - just looked at your pictures as posted on the BYOC forum and I see the problem. Check your thread at BYOC for the solution. :)

20. RDM

RDM Senior Member

It works! Thanks again for the heads up. What a great sounding pedal. Well worth the $$$