Any Carr Mercury users here?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by David-R, Nov 28, 2005.

1. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

The Mercury may be just the ticket for my low volume always mic'd church playing. I watched the video demonstration and was very impressed with the clean and edge of breakup tones.

Has anyone tried an OD pedal in front of a Mercury?

2. Point to Point

Point to Point Member

I'll chime in for you. I've had my Merc since they became available (chassis # 05). I currently use both Xotic RC & AC boost pedals in front of the Merc (w/a Fatboost for lead vol. boost). I use the RC for just a "little hair", the AC for a bit more "Allmans" or heavier type OD. It loves them. I have also used a Klon, Sex Drive and Full Drive 2. It all depends which guitars I am using, and what I am looking for at the time, tone-wise. I use the Merc. for band rehearsal @ the full 8 watts and keep up with the other guitarist who uses a Deluxe Reverb (we try to keep rehearsal vol. lower ). I have yet to find an OD that the Merc. flat out did not sound good with. I suppose if you tried to go real heavy with it, it might not sound so good; it's not really a drop tune style amp. I am also still using the orig. KT66 power tube. I suppose I'll re-bias for EL34 (as they are shipped with now) when the KT dies.

3. David-R

Thanks Jim - that's just the info I was looking for.

I don't play "heavy" stuff but I do like some good old classic rock Marshall tones. Some amps are picky about ODs so it's good to hear that this one seems to be OD friendly.

4. Sherman

Sherman Member

David,

Like PTP, my Merc has never met a distortion pedal or a fuzz pedal that it didn't like. My Merc was a present from my lovely wife. So far my favorite tube in the Merc is a NOS GE KT-66/7581. It sounds much better to my ear than the GT K-66 or the GT EL-34.

The only down side of the amp is the price. Do yourself a favor and buy one used. I've seen them go as low as $1,400.00.

Sherm

5. David-R

Thanks, OD friendly is very important to me.

I'm keeping my eye out for a used one since they are expensive.

6. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

There's one on ebay right now. Current bid is $1,310, but there's a few days to go still....

7. David-R

Thanks.

That one is blonde and has a road case so it might go for more than I'd like to spend.

8. dyer_maker

dyer_maker Member

I've owned a ton of ODs and they all sound pretty good, some better than others. It already has some of the Marshall vibe so I'm staying away from Marshall tuned pedals. The boost modes are sweet but since they aren't footswitchable I use a TMB boost and I like the variation it provides.

I'm a pedal whore so if you're interested in something particular let me know. I'm owned/own alot of the them and the Mercury is the only amp I own currently, did use a Rambler though at one time.

9. Amplite

Amplite Member

I have had a Mercury for a couple of years, also a present from my wife! Is there some kind of pattern here???
    Believe it or not I like using a 6L6 in the Mercury after extensive testing. I use it to record mostly so volume is not as important as tone. Switching to the 6L6 actually kept me from selling it as it gave me more of an even sound. I have also found it very pedal friendly!
    Any one change the speaker with good results??
    At times I've found it a little dark and in need of a little more chime.

10. davebc

davebc Member

O.K. guys. Honest question. The Merc I tried sounded amazing straight in, plenty of gain and singing sustain; and having a 2 and 4 year old running around is definitely making it more challenging to crank up my old Marshall, Matchless, ect. So, I'm ready to pull the trigger on the Merc. But, why would I need a pedal for this amp? It screams straight in at any of the Volume settings.

11. Amplite

Amplite Member

The reason I sometimes use a pedal with the clean channel is because the two overdrive settings bypass the tone controls. While it sounds great for most things I sometimes like to taylor the clean sound and then push it with a pedal. Overdrive and distortion come in many flavors!!
    :dude

12. edwinhong

edwinhong Member

You can do some reserch on Aiken tomcat
    http://www.aikenamps.com/

would be good at church

13. David-R

Thanks, I've been considering the Tomcat also.

Anybody know where I can listen to some Tomcat clips?

14. Sherman

Sherman Member

Amplite,

Sounds like both of our wives are keepers!

Yes, I swapped out my speaker with a bad cat treated greenback. I too thought the amp sounded a little dark with the Kingpin 60. The bad cat treated GB has a little more high end to my ear and is not as "brown" sounding as the Kingpin.

After sending my amp back to the Carr folks for a quick checkup, I figured out why they use the Kingpin. The amp sounds brighter with the stock EL34 to my ears. I think the Kingpin tames some that brightness. I noticed this immediately when I got the amp back after not hearing it for several weeks.

I initially wondered why my Merc sounded so different. Don't get me wrong - it still sounded good but it didn't sound the same. So I changed out the EL34 for a GE 7581/KT66 and the old Merc sounded just like I remembered it to sound like. It was fuller sounding with a little more girth. Like yourself, I too favor the 6L6 variants in the Merc.

Your mileage may vary.....

Sherm

15. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

I have a Scumback SA12H75 on order, should be here in a week or so. I'll write something up after I try it out.

Also, regarding the original question in the thread, my Merc sounds absolutely great with a Karl, and SHO. But, with a Java-Boost, it's pretty much nirvana... Man I love the java with this amp!

16. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

You can check out songs recorded with a mercury at our website, www.arizonatheband.com - this amp has been a mainstay of our recorded sound. We don't go anywhere without it. :)