Any Carvin DC400 or CT users here?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Audioholic, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Audioholic

Audioholic Member

Looking at either a Carvin CD400, CT, or even a C66 guitar. anyone care to share their experiences with any of these? Don't worry posting about bad resale value, that is an unfortunate given for some reason..

2. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

Just so you know, resale on modern Carvins is in line with any other major manufacturer aside from collectible Fenders and Gibsons. Jackson, Ibanez, Washburn, Charvel, Schecter, Music Man, Peavey, whatever, it all takes a hit, and recent Carvins go for prices in the same range as anyone else's guitars, as long as their custom build isn't too out there.

Now that that is out of the way, I'm awaiting delivery of two more H2Ts, which I believe are my 14th and 15th new Carvins (20th overall). I have 5 CTs, and I love em - they're my main recording guitars. I prefer their set neck models to the neck through, but that's personal preference. The CTs sound is to me in between an LP and a PRS - a little thicker than my PRS Custom 24s (tho not as "airy"), more midrangey with a little less thump than my LP Customs.

Neck-wise, I believe the C66 and DC necks are a little smaller than the CTs, with the CT neck a little fatter at the "shoulders". I think this depends on what kind of tone you're going after. If you're going for a thick, rock tone, or even a fat Jazz/Blues tone, I'd say CT or CS. If you want a more neutral tone, for versatility, or to use with a lot of effects, I'd say the DC400. If you want a lighter, snappier tone, the C66.

Of course, how you spec out your guitar will have an effect as well.

All of my Carvins have been bulletproof, and I gig the holy heck out of them. However, some people have had issues with the electronics, especially with used ones. And sometimes they goof up, but you have 10 days to return it. Customer service seems to be based on who you deal with - my experiences have all been overwhelmingly positive, including dealing with a few returns, but there are some who have tales of less than satisfactory outcomes.

Carvin is the Apple of music companies - everyone seems to be either a drooling fanboi or a slavering hater. I've been thrilled with my Carvins, and with the company, but they don't walk on water, and they aren't for everyone.

Not to shill, but you can hear a lot of clips of various Carvins on my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/teebalicious

Hope this is helpful :D

3. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

I looked at the C66 but I ended up with a DC-135. It's a beautiful guitar and plays/sounds wonderful. The electronics have held up great. I did have to have the nut shimmed just a tad to get the Floyd Rose to return in tune all the time. That was right after I bought it 5 years ago and it's worked perfectly ever since. It's not my favorite, it was until I got an EB Axis but it's a heck of a guitar. Works wonderful with a wireless and my Mesa Express!

[​IMG]

Playing at "The Race For The Cure".....notice the pink wig on the officer riding buy :)

4. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

not a 400, but i've been a DC200K user since 1984.

Carvin DC200k
    [​IMG]

still going strong as axe #1, after 28 years, not a single problem or issue.
    the most bang for the buck of any guitar i've purchased in 30 years.

5. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

of course, one of the reasons i love my DC200k, is that it has a gibson scale length, and the more modern ones have the hybrid Paul/Strat length, the 24.75" scale length is not an option

6. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

I prefer to call it the "PRS" scale (25").

I've got both the 24.75" and 25" scale Carvin guitars. That quarter of an inch really doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me; I have to think about which is which. What DOES make a difference is that Carvin has had 12" radius, 15" radius and 12-16" compound radii as *standard* over the last 20 years. Currently 12" is back as the standard, with 10, 14 and 20" radii as options.

7. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

yeah, my DC200k has the 12" radius.
    that's the most comfy for me.

8. sdrootsman

sdrootsman Member

It would be more accurate to call it the "Carvin scale" imo as they have been using it for much longer than PRS.