Any Catalinbread Hyper Pak users?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by djinn1973, Apr 19, 2008.

1. djinn1973

djinn1973 Member

Hope I reposted this in the right place...

Finally ready to take the BadMonkey off my board.
    I came across this demo on YouTube of a Hyper Pak played through a 40 watt 6L6 based amp. (a Blues Deluxe?) I would love to use it to push my ac15cc, any one used this pedal with a el84 based amp? Any one used this pedal at all?
    Thanks.

2. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

wow, that's a very nice distortion sound! I'm gonna' pick one up, I think... so small, too.

3. Merelington

Merelington Member

I wouldn't even hesitate on this one man. I'm running mine through a 70's fender twin reverb (6L6) and it sounds fantastic! You can use it to push your amp into overdrive and use it as a dirt or full on distortion. It responds well to picking dynamics & your guitars volume knob, is extremely silent in operation, pack LOADS of power, and sounds even better in person (has more character). Its not bass heavy, high and shrill or muddy..just a great natural overdrive sound. Even if you aren't as impressed with it they have a great resale value and aren't even expensive new. I have two more of those catalinbread minis on the way.

By the by you won't miss having a tone knob as this little bad boy is voiced perfectly.

4. nb_fan

nb_fan Member

I agree with everything you have said here... except mine is not extremely silent. It hisses .. white noise. Compared to my other pedals, signal to noise ratio is not its best feature.

HOWEVER, I've read a lot of contradictory reviews (eg. yours). What are you running yours with? How are you powering it?

I'm using mine with a Onespot with 3 other pedals (DD6, Big Muff, and BB Preamp).

regardless, I still love every other thing about this pedal - its sensitivity, its feel, its tone - and i still use it all the time

5. amphead777

amphead777 Member

I love mine, it's really quite. I lent it to a friend, he loved the tone, but couldn't handle the noise. Go figure

6. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

The 6L6 amp was my beloved Super Reverb. The only EL84 amp I have personally tried the HyperPak through is a Blue Junior, not the best example I'd think. We should have a Maz18 2x12 for the shop by early next month.

I am pretty sure the Proguitarshop videos were using a Marshall 18 or AC or 65. But it is all about feel for the HyperPak, that is difficult to hear on a clip.
    :RoCkIn

7. Memphis

Memphis Member

No Hyper Pak here, but a V8, which says Hyper Pak on the board inside...
    No issues with noise at all!

8. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

I use my HyperPak with a Marshall 2061x. Perfect.

9. Merelington

Merelington Member

I run mine with loads of pedals (mass produced, boutique, digital, analog) and it seems to work well with all of them. Ah, that maybe why yours produces some excess white noise...because its sharing power with 3 other pedals (although the one spots are fairly powerful adaptors). I'm running mine from a voodoo lab pedal power 2 + which has isolated outputs.

10. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

I really like the idea of those small pedals. And from all the reports they apparently sound great too. Good on You Catalinbread.

11. brianf

brianf Member

Yup. For the price just get it. Mine is not noisy. Yes a tone knob would be nice but this thing is the size of a couple of batteries so no room for that, and you need an adapter to run it. Too small for a battery.

It really packs a lot of OD in it!!!

brianf

12. es125luv

es125luv Member

the HyperPak is great with an ES-335 for a great Freddie King-type BITE!!!

I love mine, and it is NOT noisy at all.

13. funkycam

funkycam Member

gotta say this pedal did not do it for me.
    through both my sf twin & cranked 18 watter it was all bad.
    Ugly mids & nasty 90s grunge tone was all I heard.
    not a lot of noise from it in my rigs & a super cool looking unit but hated the sound...

14. djinn1973

djinn1973 Member

So...
    I have played with my hyper pak for about half an hour, its fantastic!
    I am shocked at how very responsive it is. It cleans up nicely, with both my attack and my volume knob It does add a little colour (its just a bit dark) but the over all character of my amp shines through. One thing I cant get over, is how incredibly small it is. Big tone in an alarmingly small package.
    THANK YOU!

15. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

No Thank you!

[​IMG]

16. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

That's a great ad. I've had the HyperPak since the 2 knob version came out and I have a Serrano Picoso and a Valcoder in the mail. These mini pedals are a great concept. Are there any more coming?

Johan

17. brianf

brianf Member

Let me add that I think the Hyper Pak is one of the best distortions when you are playing late and are at bedroom volumes.

brianf