Any Catholic TGP worship players who play electric guitar during mass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoopyBullet

Silver Supporting Member
A little background on my youth: I was raised Roman Catholic in a small town, so an organ and a choir is pretty much normal. There was an acoustic guitar sometimes. My father's side of the family is Buddhist, so I'm familiar with that kind of service, as well. Somber. In high school, I had the opportunity to visit the Vatican on an amazing youth trip through Europe (not exactly an innocent trip with a bunch of teenagers seeing the world for the first time, haha). It was beautiful! But it was a grandiose version of what I was already familiar with. It wasn't until I moved away from my small town and was invited to church by friends who attended Christian non-denominational or Baptist churches where I actually saw an electric guitar in a church. Or drums. Basically any rock-oriented stuff. I didn't even know you could do that! What?! To top it off, it was at one of the larger Christian churches in my school's city - a full on rock band, lights, lyric videos, streaming video of the service on the church's website, etc. I remember thinking to myself, "They have a website!" Also, there was a coffee kiosk in the lobby. Holy moly! I didn't see it as negative (I love coffee), but it was just a big culture shock for me!

TL;DR - I've only been in calm, somber places of worship up until college - no electric guitar rigs in sight!

My question:
Are there any Roman Catholic TGP worship players who utilize a fully equipped guitar rig during mass? Or even a simplified version? How does that work during your mass? Who are the other musicians and how do you carry out your arrangements in that kind of context?

(This is unrelated, but for a while I've had this fantasy in my head where one of my good Christian friends from college would show up to play music at my quiet church back home. His sparkle Duesenberg Starplayer, 3 overdrives, 2 delays, volume pedal, all stereo into his Super Reverb and Marshall. My church is so small, there's not even a real back room where his rig could go. TGP ideologies and my youth are just in different universes.)

bealtown

I can't answer your question but it's interesting and I am curious to read what people say about it. Seems to me that the rock band thing is not compatible with the Catholic Mass because it's beside the point, which is Gospel &
Eucharist. Where do you fit the rock music in?

thrashmetl

Was Catholic growing up, went to Catholic grade school too. There were 3 different music groups if I recall correctly. The regular adult choir, the children's choir, and the Christian folk group. The Christian folk group was headed by my best friend's parents and they would honestly just play folky renditions of most of the regular old Catholic songs. Most of the time they played acoustics, but every once in a while my friend's dad would bust out his 80's Strat plus I think it was. If anything it was just guitar to Blackface with some Reverb and that's it, just clean and quacky.

Grenville

In the late '60s and early '70s the Catholic and Anglican (Episcopalian) churches were pioneers of the rock praise thing. For some reason it was then left to the Baptists and Pentecostals to make music "for the youth".

These examples are all very dated, but give you an idea of how people tried to integrate popular music and liturgy.

This one was a worldwide hit, selling 4 million copies:

buddyboy

Platinum Supporting Member
My church use to have a full band (usually teens) at the "folk mass" every week. Acoustic, a few electrics, bass and drums. Most of the players grew up and moved away and no one replaced them (I also recall the band leader moving out of town as an impetus for its demise). The band played the hymns in a traditional fashion.

wire-n-wood

Tin Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
I'm not sure why religious posts on TGP piss me off. I don't mind religion. But I think it's that palpable whiff of trying a little too hard to dress up a religious intrusion as a gear discussion, and all that habitual false pretence just comes flooding back to me.

don carney

Gold Supporting Member
Mostly acoustic electric players where I attend. Also electric bass guitar is common with piano as the main instrument with the others in support. Traditional songs mostly but there is a wind of change a blowing and recently I have heard some music that I really liked. For example, some old Baptist and Quaker spirituals and a few more modern songs (can't think of the names but I remember being surprised when I heard them played on the piano at the church). I think it depends on the pastor and or the priest and how much slack they are willing to cut the musicians. If music is of interest, you really have to choose your church and the hour of service at the church with the music in mind. I personally am hopeful that the success of the PW folks at the big flourishing metro churches will have a positive effect on the traditional churches which badly need musical change (IMHO).

RustyAxe

I've never seen a full band in any RC church in my area. An RC service is liturgical, and not free flowing like other those of other faiths. But ... bands are often used for non-liturgical events, youth rallies, etc. An aside: when I was a kid in CCD classes held at my church's school (i was in public school) the nuns would have me go to the convent after and tune their guitars. :)

ripgtr

In the late '60s and early '70s the Catholic and Anglican (Episcopalian) churches were pioneers of the rock praise thing.

Well, having been there (I did 7 years at catholic school in the 60s), I remember some "folk" masses, nothing even Close to rock. Acoustic guitar only, not even a bass that I remember. Certainly not drums and no distorted electric.

I DID live across the street from a baptist church in Oakland for a while in the early 80s. They did choir rehearsal on Thursday night. They had drums. :). I suspect they had had drums for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom