Any Chris Rea love?

JohnLnyc

Great talent.
One of my bigger regrets is not having seen him perform live!
This is just monster playing and a killer song!

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
^^^ I remember the Road to Hell video on MTV back in the day. I loved the song... It reminded me of Dire Straits. Good song.

whackystrings

Odd, just this past weekend I was grooving along to "Texas", "Auberge", "Road To Hell Pt 1 & 2" and "On The Beach" (original version). I Youtube'd his video that accompanied his signature Fender Strat as well as some live performances. He is damn good live...damn good.
Yeah, some parallel lines are drawn between his 80s sound and Dire Straits, especially that Bridge+Middle Strat pick-up sproingy quack tone that I love when players do it well.
His slide work is really nice to listen to, as well.

wattage

Yeah Chris is fantastic

New band I am working with picked Road to Hell as one of the covers, I was very happy about that.

BuckshotJenkins

Gold Supporting Member
I gotta give him a listen, cause a station here in Austin played Texas once and I loved it and had to have it. I gotta dig for more.

pbmw

I'm goin to Texas
She said What?
I said Texas...

They got day long roads out there...

We do a cover of Texas, You must be Evil, Road to Hell and Lets Dance

What guitar is he playing in that video???

Comet01

I fell in love with Rea from the first time "Fool If You Think It's Over" hit the airwaves in 1978. Bought each succeeding album as soon as they were released. In the US, he disappeared in 1982 for an extended period.

I had no idea that he hit very big in Europe in 1983 with Water Sign (an album of demos). He didn't have another US release until 1987 (Dancing With Strangers ... on Motown!).

1988's "Workin' On It" was a huge US hit. After Road to Hell, there was little US interest in Chris.

"Texas" (from Road to Hell) is probably my favorite. I've used that song to convert several people into Rea fans.

His guitar tone is amazing.

Health issues have had a huge affect on his appearance.

Last edited:

Trending Topics