Any classic Fender amps use EL34s?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wrxplayer, Feb 26, 2009.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I recently got a Working Dog Doberman. I'm told these are designed with classic Fender amps in mind. Admittedly I know little about which amps use what kind of tubes.

The Doberman has EL34s, I was wondering if those (along w/ 12AX7 pre-amp tubes) are the same "setup" as used in any classic Fender amps.

2. gls500

gls500 Supporting Member

No, I don't believe so. The 1961(?) Tremolux had 6BQ5's (el84's), but otherwise it was 6L6, 6V6, and 5881's.

3. Mike Fleming

Mike Fleming Member

Tube type aside, what do you think of the amp? I've always wanted to try one of those.

4. RCCola

RCCola (|@ / \ @ |.) Gold Supporting Member

They might be talking about the pre-amp section. A lot of amps use the Fender preamp section with a Marshall power section (Komet, Dumble, Trainwreck).

5. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I've only had it a few days and can't tell you all of the ins and outs of the amp. Mine has an upgraded speaker (Celestion Gold) and upgraded power tubes (Mullards). I don't know what the real differences in sound are b/t this and stock Jenson and stock tubes.

I used it on Wednesday night at rehearsal. Here are my impressions:

1. The amp can get LOUD. It has a built in attenuator that gets it down to 20 watts and is still loud. It will fill up most rooms and cut through a loud rhythm section with ease.

2. Tremendous headroom. This amp does clean VERY well. I am more used to amps with gain that comes on more quickly. If you're looking for lots of gain from the amp, especially at lower volumes, this ain't. it. Nor is it a bedroom amp. I've heard that the Working Dog Boxer makes a good "at home" amp.

3. Seems to handle pedals well. Or at least it sounded good with the pedal I was using, a Fuchs Xtreme Plush overdrive. This did give me sufficient distortion (but not a lot as this isn't a high distortion pedal) at practice volumes.

4. I think the built in reverb sounds pretty good. I've read others don't like it. But I'm not a reverb expert and don't have much experience w/ classic Fenders, which I guess are the state of the art in that regard.

5. The amp is a little short on options. What I mean is there's no speaker out or ohm adjustment. As George Alessandro said in an email to me, it's designed to be used as a combo amp. If you're looking for more flexibility/options, look elsewhere.

6. Perhaps my favorite trait: IT IS LIGHT!! I think it weighs in at about 34-35 pounds. I don't know of another amp in this category that sounds this good and seems as well made and is as easy to lug around. Being 51 with bad elbows, this is huge. If my Industrial Amps combo weren't 55 pounds, I'd never have looked elsewhere.

7. Build quality seems quite good. I'd never seen one of these before I bought it. I kind of expected the "feel" of the amp to be less than wonderful to keep the weight down. Not so.

8. Price: The amp is very well priced, particularly when compared to other PTP "boo teeks." MSRP on the stock amp is under $1500. There's currently a special going on where they can be had for 25% off MSRP w/ free shippping if you go to the manufacturers website. For $1100 delvered (+/-) it's a great deal, IMO, if this is what you're looking for in an amp.

6. QRSS

QRSS brutalist