Any clips of a Ring Mod souding musical?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by forgivenman, Jan 31, 2008.

1. forgivenman

forgivenman Supporting Member

How's that for a subjective title?

I've got a Line 6 MM4 and it has a Ring Mod model on it but I can't get it to sound musical. I set the pitch to the key I'm playing in and it basically just keeps that pitch and blends it in with whatever I play. Is there something I'm missing?

I think this effect has lots of possibilities, but I can't find any clips of a ring mod being used as anything other than a tremolo or a far out sound effect that, at least to my ears, is unmusical.

If you have some cool clips, I'd love to here them!

2. blueprint

blueprint Member

3. funkycam

funkycam Member

Vernon reid's solo on from "under cover of darkness" from the record time's up. alternates between bop lines & ring mod. killing !

vbrans likes this.
  4. turtlesoup

turtlesoup Member

It's all over Devo's Are We Not Men. fantastic record. that said, i have no use for the damn things myself.

5. DeuceII

DeuceII Supporting Member

Chris Poland uses one pretty musically in his solos on some of the Ohm recordings. I'll try to track down clips.

Okay, here's one. He actually only turns it on briefly to enhance a few of the riffs, noticeably around the 2:50 mark. I don't know if it's what you'd call "musically" but he definitely uses it to create a different texture. IMO that's a musical use.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=WLWXlI7TnZc&feature=related

6. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

here is something I did with ring mod.... the song is really avant-garde and I don't like it at all except for the ring mod part... but to me the ring modulation REALLY adds about a million things to the song and i like them all. I think the ring mod really makes the guitar sound a lot more emotive in an extreme sense.

its guitar going to fuzz to delay to ring mod to more delay:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5319343

listen at about 3:20.... the ring mod really climaxes the song at around 3:32 and I don't think i've been able to really do anything quite like it since.

starts at about 3:05 and goes to 4:15.

7. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

I'm pretty sure Jeff Beck is using one on this track. I think it's a Maestro Ring Mod though...and I don't know how it behaves compared to your MM4. I'd love to get that tone Jeff gets here. He kicks it in around 1:50.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OXrpIEGq6AA

8. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

Terje Rypdal, "It's in the Air" from If Mountains Could Sing. Very nice usage of a Maestro Ring Modulator.

You can buy the song on mp3 for $0.99 on Amazon (track #2), unfortunately the preview doesn't include the real juicy stuff. But I don't think you will feel cheated if you choose to spend a dollar on this tune. :BluesBros

http://www.amazon.com/Mountains-Could-Sing-Oystein-Birkeland/dp/B000024H5C

9. bhelvick1

bhelvick1 Silver Supporting Member

Curehardy's demo on the Moog Ring Mod was probably the best musical demo of a ring mod (with a dmm) I've ever heard. I can't stop thinking about getting one to try it out.

10. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Yes, Jeff Beck uses one very subtly on Because We Ended as Lovers.

He turns it on and off. Very cool.

11. rah3

rah3 Gold Supporting Member

12. jazzguitar

jazzguitar Supporting Member

It's all over Aimee Mann's Lost in Space album. To start, check out "Real Bad News" and the solo on "Pavlov's Bell" starting at 2:03

I just recently discovered the magic if this effect. I've been using the Moogerfooger with an expression pedal to adjust the mix as I play. With a little tweaking of the knobs I can also get the best trem I've ever heard. It's become one of my favorite effects.

13. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

ZZ Top- Cheap Sunglasses

14. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

Yeah! Great record with some wild squelchy / retro guitar work.

15. shadowbox

shadowbox Supporting Member

And let's not forget Wayne Krantz. He makes great use of it when live.

16. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Scott Henderson does some really cool stuff with them as well. The first Vital Tech Tones record has some cool ring-mod stuff going on.