Any clips of Guitar Gods playing traditional jazz?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by wrxplayer, Mar 16, 2015.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

There's another thread on Danny Gatton changing his stripes to play some traditional jazz.

It got me wondering, are there any clips out there of the Real Guitar Gods (based on popularity) playing traditional jazz (or perhaps even fusion). I'm thinking Clapton, Page, Beck (yes, we know about his fusion work already), Allman, Hendrix, SRV, Iommi, Slash, Rhodes, Van Halen, Gilmour?

If you got 'em, post 'em.

2. Neer

Neer Member

Good luck with that! None of the above could do it. Doesn't diminish their talent one bit, though. Some of the guys like Greg Howe can play jazzy stuff--Greg Howe, Guthrie Govan, Shawn Lane.... Still isn't jazz, though.

Gatton's early influence was Les Paul, so he had some familiarity with early jazz styles. He played pretty well in an organ trio setting, too, but even Danny had his limitations.

I would say you are much more likely to find killer jazz players who can rock their butts off.

Peter Frampton can dabble in it a wee bit. He always cited Django as an influence and I think the closest he has come was a tune on one of his recent releases dedicated to him.

3. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

From what I've been told ... a lot of the great country guitar players could pull off some serious jazz ...

Not sure if that's still true with the more recent generations

Jimmy Page had a quite a bit of studio experience before he became a big rock star ... so their may be some jazz potential there

Not sure about the others ... although they certainly have the cops for it

:munch

4. Neer

Neer Member

Andy Summers could play passable jazz.

5. gigs

gigs Member

I believe it's SRV's tip of the hat to one of his heros, Kenny Burrell

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  6. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

Jennifer Batten did a straight ahead version of "Giant Steps" on her "Above, Below and Beyond" CD that has Greg Phillanganes on keyboards (piano with him doing a walking bass line on sampled upright bass) with a jazz kit drummer and her playing clean straight ahead jazz chords and lines.

It's treated almost as a joke because it's the "jazz police" version with Jennifer's mother doing a turn as a police dispatcher with radio chatter about going to a jazz oriented radio station to shut it down due to violating the "note sparcity clause" and providing "insufficient decibel levels in non-rock-and-roll based entertainment".

Then she does the heavy metal version after that.

7. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

8. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

What would you call it? It's atleast jazz fusion?

9. Neer

Neer Member

I don't know what they call it. It's some kind of Fusion, but the metal variety. Not really my cup of tea.

10. Adel2

Adel2 Member

Haven't heard it for a while but EVH did some nice Freddie Green style comping on "Big Bad Bill" from the Diver Down album. The whole band played great but Jan Van Halen (Eddie's dad) was just SMOKING on that one.

11. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Like other genres, jazz has it's own language. Unless you spend time in that language, you aren't going to be able to do more than say a few words.

Andy Summers was trained to be a jazz guitarist, Brad Paisley has some jazz background, as did many western swing guys. Both SRV, Hendrix and Eric Johnson dipped their toes in jazz, but that's about it. EJ is on tour with Mike Stern, so I'm guessing he's dialed up his jazz chops some.

Gonna be a pretty short list.

12. Defendant

Defendant Member

Page Hamilton of Helmet:

Vernon Reid obviously leans toward the freer end of jazz, but has claimed he can play stuff like Giant Steps.

There will be a few younger hardcore and metal players who can play jazz to a decent level as well.

13. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

14. Neer

Neer Member

E for effort.

15. SS&HH

SS&HH Member

There's a couple of Frank Gamble playing blues/jazz type short vids on youtube. I thought that he was just an 80's metal head. After watching the vids I thought he was a talented player. There also maybe one or two of Paul Gilbert.

16. Neer

Neer Member

Frank has never been a metalhead, always a jazz/fusion player, at least in his professional career.

But holy sheep ****, could he play!

17. SS&HH

SS&HH Member

I recently saw a vid on youtube that has Synyster Gates playing a Django tune.

18. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

Here's the Danny Gatton clip I posted in the other thread. He's clearly got some J chops.

19. harmonicator

harmonicator Member

Regarding the country/jazz connections, listening to bluegrass players blow 8th notes over G-A-D sounds like a distant backwoods cousin to some bebop...to me. Yes, less harmony and the rhythm section emphasizes 1 and 3, but those those swinging 8ths and arpeggiated lines are awful similar...sometimes.

and yeah, Skolnick is the obvious candidate here

20. nicktf

nicktf Silver Supporting Member

I have/had a bootleg of Richard Thompson doing his best "Hot Club de France" with a fiddle player whose name escapes me, and it's pretty spot on. Unfortunately, I can't find any examples on line other than this one where he's serving the singer. Nice backing and solo, though, as you would expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhzDCnEgY2s