Any comments or feedback welcome

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Dave Wakely, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

I hope I've mastered the wonders of Soundclick sufficiently to get this right, so here goes ...

(deep breath, quick coffee)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandid=859370&content=music

should give links to four pieces, all home demos of things I've written and am in the process of working up to re-arrange for a band line-up. (All instrumental, and I'm calling it jazz for lack of a better word for it. That at least gives some idea where I'm coming from and/or heading to.)

The other musicians will all be people I've worked with before in different contexts (with the exception of a keyboard player - if anyone knows one of those who'd like any of this and lives in Bucks, UK ....), but these recordings are entirely self-played (if 'played' is the right word for sequenced drums and percussion?).

Any constructive comments on the writing and playing very welcome - I already know the arranging and recording could do with a lot more work yet.

And thanks to anyone who took a few minutes out of their day to listen.

2. Scoredog

Scoredog Member

I think there are some real nice things going on here. i realize you will replace with players, but you may wish to watch reverb levels as things have a tendency to wash out.

3. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Some nice chord changes ... and cool guitar tones ...
    but it does seem somewhat busy,, In other words, a lot of ideas going on with different sections ,,,
    Almost like two different songs sequed here & there ...

With that being said however,
    it remains me of Quicksilver & the Messenger Service, Sons of Champlain compositions
    which had a lot of sections and guitars mixed in with a slight bit of jazz influence ...

4. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

Thanks for the feedback. I've already realised about the reverb levels (I have a tendency to overdo it that I need to fight). The Quicksilver & The Messenger Service reference took me by surprise - as a mid-40s Brit, I'm vaguely aware of them but I don't think I've ever heard any (I guess I should try them now!).

The proposed line-up is guitar, keys, bass, percussion, violin/viola and woodwinds, and I'm intending to use the strings and winds as a way of introducing counterpoints and harmonies almost in the way that barbershop singers do - weaving several linear players to create shifting chords. And, re-reading Brian Eno's diaries recently, I came across a vital tip I need to take on board: "an arrangements is when some of the musicians stop playing some of the time". Minimalism has never been my forte, but that doesn't mean I can't work on it.

5. trisonic

trisonic Member

Listen to the arrangements on David Bowie's "Let's Dance" (the whole CD - the production is beautiful too) I often cite that record for serious listening when something is too busy.

Best, Pete.

6. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

I think that everyone has given some great constructive advice. Some nice playing, really like some of those runs. You may want to consider adding some melody in the your playing to give it a bit more depth. i think that would really compliment some of those great runs you pull off.

7. mike walker

mike walker Member

Dave,
    loads of ideas here. Some real good one's that have many influences to my ears, Fleetwood mac after peter green, Heart, tasty stuff combined with some Genesis (don't shoot me here) and other prog rock influences. A seed trying to grow but a little too much water. Sometimes the reverb is way too high for me and it makes the centre a little unfocused. Peel it back, dry it off and let those real good ideas come out.
    Some lovely playing on 'the anniversary' Dave.

Mike

8. hottub

hottub Member

Dave
    some very nice pieces of music there. all well done, and each unique in their own way. I particularly enjoyed Sweet Basil!

:AOK

9. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

Thanks for comments and feedback - all very gratefully received. (Very odd - and very flattering - to be reading comments from someone who's CD you've been listening too for the last couple of weeks too: but heartening too. Thanks Mike, it's appreciated. And I'll turn the reverb down!)

The tracks on Soundclick are all fairly old - The Anniversary is the most recent, and possibly the most representative of where I want to try to take the ideas I have. I'm very glad to have constructive criticism at this point. I've been through a very variable couple of years - being main carer to a parent who developed vascular dementia, losing my job, all having moved a years or so earlier and left behind a jazz quartet (of which Sweet Basil is an atypical moment!).

As life has slowly found its shape again, most playing has been thrashing out 60s rock covers to raise money for a local charity: as that venture is now coming to an end, it's time to be positive and try to spend some time making my own music and find my own musical feet again. (There will be hours of frustration ahead with Cubase, MIDI and the like, but hopefully hours of writing and playing too).

Don't hold your breath too tightly, but I'll try to get more recent - and better - work online soon. As ever, people's feedback will be very welcome.

10. scottl

scottl Member

All good advice here. Lots of tasty playing. Good stuff Dave. Nice to have yet another Brit in these parts.... ;)