any comparison of Amplifire vs Torpedo CAB?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by ipm, Mar 2, 2015.

1. ipm

ipm Member

This would be helpfull for some of us.
    Thanx.

2. randombastage

randombastage Member

When mine comes tomorrow, at some point, I'll plug it in place of my T CAB+ ElevenRack and T CAB + PodHD and see how it does serving that role.

3. journo

journo Member

I've started trying the Amplifire with some pedals like the Ethos but I don't have the latest firmware so I can't compare it to my T-Cab.

Cheers,

Mats N

4. journo

journo Member

UPDATE!

I just received the latset firmware and will start testing this tomorrow.

Cheers,

Mats N

5. ipm

ipm Member

Great Mats,

Looking forward to your review!

6. RLD

RLD Member

Are you saying you've got V.1.1 for Amplifire?

7. Atomic Amps

Atomic Amps Member

No. Version 1.1 has not been released to anyone. Mats updated his unit to current productions specs with already have the 6L6 and EL34 power amps.

8. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

I'd love some feedback on this. I have about 20 days left in the return window for the CAB. The CAB is wonderful, but if I could simplify my direct rig even more, all the better!

9. randombastage

randombastage Member

OK, only tried one AB comparison but wanted to get this here because I promised and time is of the essence for at least one of you...

My favorite ElevenRack preset...I loaded the same Ownhammer IR that I use in the T CAB for that particular ElevenRack preset into the AmpliFire...made a preset in AmpliFire with that IR and an EL34 power amp just like the T CAB preset is.

I put the AmpliFire in series in the loop of the ElevenRack where the T CAB is already set up. I did the AB by keeping either the T CAB or the AmpliFire bypassed while the other serves as the power amp and speaker sim for the ElevenRack preset.

I can tell right away that this will work nicely. I didn't take the time to tweak the AmpliFire power amp and other settings to get it as close as possible to the same T CAB preset but I got it 90% of the way there quite easily And that is without even putting an EQ in the AmpliFire preset which the T CAB preset does have.
    I'd describe it as sounding like the same amp with a little difference in the tone stack settings. The feel is all good, the presence of the power amp as a part of the sound is all good...different but good. I'm confident it could be made to be very close to a cloned sound. I think the T CAB power amp sims are excellent and have better range of options to what is in the AmpliFire so far...so far..

Overall, from this very brief exploration Im thinking if I sold the T CAB it wouldn't be missed as an IR/power amp sim host.
    But here is the thing about that....I use the T CAB with Preamps, modelers, and line out from my Fryette Power Station attenuator to send my real amps into the DAW or into the monitors for low volume goodness. It is always right there waiting to be put to use.

I don't think I'm going to want to take my AmpliFire out of its place and rig it up as a T CAB replacement everytime I want to do one of those things that the T CAB does for me...

So, just because it could replace the T CAB based on sound quality...I don't think it really can, for me, based on work flow and my need for it to be primarily always somewhere else in the gear... It needs to be somewhere else in the gear because the AmpliFire is really good at being my primary modeler...my only modeler actually...(Yamaha THR not withstanding because it is a different thing all together) I can tell that the AmpliFire is going to be my #1 amp modeling tool already too.

I hope that helps.

If I couldn't have both, based on my very brief comparison, I would sell the T CAB because the AmpliFire is sounding good in that role and obviously offers so much more.
    If Atomic pursues making the IR/power amp sim hosting a strong feature I think T CABS will be all over eBay as that development hits the AmpliFire firmware update stream.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  10. dshobe

Thanks for the comparison randombastage. The CAB is going back. I haven't received an invitation from Atomic yet, but the CAB will be redundant for me as soon as I do get the invite.

11. djd100

djd100 Member

Don't forget that the T_CAB gives you real time control over mic positioning which is invaluable in a fast paced studio setting (vs loading static IR's one by one to audition them etc), and the T_CAB gives you total MIDI Control over all it's parameters along with the free Torpedo Remote and BlendIR software.

These things are a advantage with regards to the "tube power amp sim and cab sim role" IMO, though of course the T_CAB lacks a lot of features that the Amplifire has with regards to it being an all-in-one modeling solution too if that's the role one needs it to play.

12. dshobe

Don't get me wrong, the CAB is a great pedal/processor, it's just not what I'm looking for right now. The AmpliFire just seems to be THE thing to fill that specific need for me, but who knows, maybe I'll keep it anyway, lol. I guess what I mean to say is, "Damn, it's a GOOD time to play guitar."

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  13. BCy2k

BCy2k Member

I have both and from what I've learned so far in working with my AmpliFire, it handles IRs in a slightly different, but extremely effective way.

The Cab block in the AmpliFire allows you to tune the resonance point of any IR with a control called "Cab Peak Q." There's also a "Cab Rolloff" for cutting the highs, and a "Cab Bottom" control. I spent a good while experimenting with these controls last night and I found them to be extremely useful in tailoring almost any IR to taste. There's also a "Cab Air" control which adds a subtle overall sheen to the high end which is also very useful. Plus there's a "Cab Level" control if you need to goose the level up or down. All very handy.

So, unlike the TCAB which provides a decent & useful EQ section for fine tuning any IR, the AmpliFire Cab block controls are equally useful & effective in shaping the sound of ANY IR. And this is long before you even have to touch any of AmpliFire's 5 other EQ + filter blocks.

IMHO, AmpliFire's Cab block and overall IR handling capabilities are tremendous and should not be underestimated.

The TCAB does what it does extremely well. Personally, I think the native TCAB IRs from Two Notes are incredibly flexible in terms of fine tuning them etc. I generally prefer their native IRs and I've usually had much better results from working with those than working with user IRs (inside the TCAB). IMHO, the way the TCAB handles user IRs, you lose some of that flexibility, which is probably why I've always preferred the Two Notes native IRs. You still have the EQ section and the power amp modeling when working with user IRs, and that's not nothing. I've been gigging a TCAB for roughly two years now. It's definitely a great and very capable unit.

However, the way the AmpliFire handles user IRs is quite a bit more flexible (tweakable) compared to the TCAB.

IMHO, YMMV etc.

As far as user IRs in AmpliFire vs native IRs in the TCAB, flip a coin. You won't go wrong with either one IMHO.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  14. djd100

djd100 Member

I'm curious as to why you think the AmpliFire's cab block is more tweakable as all it's doing is adding EQ and a level control to the IR just like the T_CAB does with it's EQ and Output sections?

Two Notes is currently considering updating the T_CAB's/LIVE's EQ section with switchable HPF-LPF-Bell-Shelving Hi and Lo bands, and a Sweep Semi-Parametric Mid Control I believe?

Does the AmpliFier have a way to send a non-cab sim'd signal to one output, and a cab sim'd signal to a different output (with both using the tube power amp sim)?

15. jmtaylor22

jmtaylor22 Member

You can choose to have the cab sim on both or just one output. It has all those same EQ options plus the cab parameters.

Can the T_Cab add delay, reverb, serve as a backup rig, chorus, etc...

I can't see why anyone would buy a cab over this if they don't already own it.

16. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

Yes.

17. BCy2k

BCy2k Member

It's definitely something that must be heard to adequately realize. To me, their respective approaches are unique in terms of how effective they work & sound. For starters, the Amplifire uses a q control for setting the frequency of the resonance point of the IR. Something the TCAB simply doesn't do. This makes a huge difference IMHO. Also, there's no multiband graphic eq in AmpliFire's cab block as such. You'd think that's a disadvantage, but it's not. It's basically using a high shelf control and a bass cut/boost, with the 'air' & level control. It may not sound like much compared to what the TCAB offers. However, when you start playing with these settings and hear the range of sounds it brings to just a single user IR, it's pretty amazing. When compared to tweaking a user IR in the TCAB, it really is surprisingly effective and at least as easy (if not easier) to get really satisfying results. Again, IMHO. YMMV.

After experiencing how much more effective the minimal filter based approach sounds in the AmpliFire's cab block compared to the graphic eq approach as currently used in the TCAB, I'd say this is a great idea. Which will probably be another massive improvement for Torpedo users.

Yes. All options for this are selectable from the cab block.

18. randombastage

randombastage Member

I was hoping for a way to send the full simulated pre-power-and-cab to one output while sending just the pre to the other but I don't think that is an option yet....or I'm not seeing it.

If not in real time from a single preset at least to be able to have it on a per preset basis so one preset could be for FRFR and another could be for tube power amp and guitar cab without having to change any other settings or cables...just call up a FRFR preset or a Power amp/ Guitar cab preset and the proper system produces the sound while the other is silent

19. djd100

djd100 Member

...or consider a lightweight SS power amp with the guitar cab, and use the AmpliFire's tube power amp sims.

I do this with my tube preamps/Torpedo CAB rig and it works well (great tone at any volume with the virtual tube power amp, and lightweight too!).

20. djd100

djd100 Member

Cool, looking forward to trying one out in a tube power amp sim/cab sim/post FX role with various tube preamps and analog pedals.

Thanks Jay.