Any compressors also a Clean Boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jrkoosh, Mar 30, 2008.

1. jrkoosh

jrkoosh Silver Supporting Member

Stupid question time! Do any comps also act like a clean boost? It occurs to me that I want both features only when I am doing a clean solo. I know many comps have a volume switch, but can get noisy if using for this purpose

2. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Not stupid at all...
    IMO compressors make the best clean boosts of them all..

I swear by the Maxon CP101 for just this purpose ...

But any Optic Compressor is the way to go ...
    It will slightly improve your overall sound & boost your sound just like it is...

3. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

Barber Tone Press all the way...

4. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I use my Tone Press to boost the front of the amp a little. I do the same thing with a Monte Allums modded CS-3 in my practice rig.

5. jcat

jcat Member

The Barber Tone Press is a great clean boost.

6. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

What is the difference in sound between the Maxon and the MXR compressors? Do you know? Just curious.....I recently got outbid on ebay for an MXR Compressor and now really I am opening up doors for other brands.....but that Maxon one is pretty expensive!

7. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

The Behringer DC9 Dynamics Compressor (which actually comes in a metal MXR-style box with a nice sturdy footswitch) has a huge amount of clean boost, I don't think it's true bypass, but it's not a tone sucker by any means. It doesn't cost much and really isn't noisey unless you dime both knobs. It's one of the few stompbox comps I've heard that actually gives you a slight top-end boost too.

Danelectro's Surf and Turf is another budget option and is, apparently, only good for clean boost.

8. whoofnagle

whoofnagle Member

Sex Drive can compress and Boost - adds a bit of color as well - I love mine!

9. Strat58

Strat58 Member

Hi the Hartman compressor great for boosting leads.
    Peace Strat58

10. drolling

drolling Member

Yep - Diamond EQ user, here. It's a pretty subtle sounding opto-comp, but it functions as an incredible booster, imo. I usually set it to push my more dynamic low-gain ODs into the next level of grit/crunch; HoneyBee, for example, acts like a completely different pedal with a booster in front.

11. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

Yep, like it's been said, many compressors allow you to boost above unity level. I've got a Carl Martin comp and recommend it highly. Can do anything from subtle & unobtrusive to very squishy, very flexible.

12. auratnik

auratnik Supporting Member

OKKO Coco Comp in my opinion the best CLEAN booster and compressor together. Search the TGP!

13. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

Barber Tone Press. Pedalworx once made an Orange Squeezer style comp that had a toggle for clean boost. Pretty cool, but I have an orignal Squeezer, so I purged it. I don't know if it's still in production.

14. eru

eru Member

I'm using my MXR Super Comp more or less as a clean boost w/ very slight compression.

I really like using it like this.

15. ManCas

ManCas Member

CMATMODS Signa Comp makes for an awesome clean boost with a lot of headroom. Cheers

16. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

MXR will generally do lots more squash than the Maxon. I don't need a ton of squash so the Maxon is perfect for me, great comp. Look out for them used, you can usually find them for $70-$80 on ebay and at that price they're a bargain. Check the Maxon website for accurate descriptions and sound samples...

17. RomanS

RomanS Member

I'm using my Marshall Ed compressor as a kind of clean boost - I set the compression rather low, and the volume higher than unity gain; also, the additional "Attack" control on the Ed is nice for suppressing a bit of pick click when using OD tones!

18. Rhino

Rhino Supporting Member

Check out the Himmelstruz Ms. NutCracker. It's designed to do just what you are looking for. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds promising.

http://www.himmelstrutz.com/mnc.htm

[​IMG]

19. amz-fx

amz-fx Supporting Member

Just turn the Compression control down and most of them are acting as simple boosts... if the ratio goes to 1:1 then boost is all you get :)

regards, Jack

20. eru

eru Member

Based on the few I've tried (mostly non-boutique) not many actually go to 1:1. One optical that I forgot the name of definitely did (had a gain reduction meter on it) and I think my MXR does, but I can't be sure until I hook up 2 vu meters...which I'm considering doing just because I'm that much of a geek and can't leave well enough alone.