Any consensus on recent Gibson 335 quality?

bkb1984

I’m searching for a later model 335, something historically accurate to a ‘59 or ‘58. Is Custom Shop my best bet? Any particular years that we’re exception or should be avoided?

FennRx

My 2018 memphis dot is fantastic . The fact I bought it NIB for $1650 in 2018 makes it even better.

Not even gonna try to disguise it as a humble brag. :)

The bear

There's no Memphis anymore. The new Custom shop reissues made in Nashville looks interesting. The lower end 335's seems to be made in the Gibson USA factory which also is in Nashville as far as I know. Paging @Tag

Reactions: Tag

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
I’m searching for a later model 335, something historically accurate to a ‘59 or ‘58. Is Custom Shop my best bet? Any particular years that we’re exception or should be avoided?

For used stick to Nashville CS. Avoid Memphis IMO unless you get a good trial period and have a Nashville to compare it to. Nashville's are more money but for good reason in my experiences.

I would avoid the 58 RIs and did not care for the two I played at all. My buddy has an original 58, and they were not even in the ball park.

All new guitars are being built in Nashville now, so that SHOULD be an improvement in quality, but its yet to be seen. They have some really cool looking models, so I would be patient and wait. That's what I am doing anyway.

Krausewitz

Don't buy the 'Gibson is low quality' nonsense. I have NEVER heard that in real life, and I've only ever seen it once (finish bleeding into the binding on an older 59 RI 335).

Just get one. Any one. Chances are it'll be THE one.

TA22GT

When I buy a guitar I buy the one in my hands if it connects with me.
It means I can forget about what factory made it and what month and time of day and just decide if it is a good guitar.
It works with any manufacturer..............

Windup 43

Silver Supporting Member
Tag with his Memphis bashing again, pay no mind...there was a long drawn out thread on this recently. Great ones from both Memphis and Nashville...no magical years either, just have to look around and see what floats your boat.

Average Joe

Try a bunch if at all possible - it's not a matter of good or bad but 335s can vary considerably.

You might also try something from other makers - collings, Heritage, various MIJ makers, etc

Both my 2009 ‘59 reissue and my 2016 ‘63 reissue (both Memphis made) are great guitars. Build quality is top notch on both and they both make me wonder why I’m still keeping my Historic Les Pauls at times.

xjojox

Tardis-dwelling wanker
I’ve owned a fair number of 335’s. My current one is a Memphis flame, and there isn’t a thing wrong with it. Some don’t like the BB pickups (the ones folks raved about when they came out LOL) and some don’t like the titanium saddles which add a bit of extra brightness. But personal taste issues are not the same as quality issues. Mine is flawless, has a great neck, and sounds fine.

FWIW my fav 335 was a blonde ‘81 dot with Shaws. It had “that sound”.

cuttyshark

My two (fairly) recent 335's ( A '58 reissue Memph and Nash CS), sadly, can NOT hold a candle to my '68. And never will. Every year, Gibby discovers a new/old techniques that makes their over priced product more like the vintage models. I doubt I'll live long enough for them to figure them all out.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
Both my 2009 ‘59 reissue and my 2016 ‘63 reissue (both Memphis made) are great guitars. Build quality is top notch on both and they both make me wonder why I’m still keeping my Historic Les Pauls at times.
My Memphis built 2009 50th Anniversary 59 Reissue is the best guitar I’ve ever owned.

But he asked about recent ones so I think you need to play any recent Gibson you buy because there are great, good and not so good ones. Well... actually any guitar. ;)

bgio

Silver Supporting Member
My Memphis built 2009 50th Anniversary 59 Reissue is the best guitar I’ve ever owned.

But he asked about recent ones so I think you need to play any recent Gibson you buy because there are great, good and not so good ones. Well... actually any guitar. ;)
I have one of these, too. It’s my best sounding guitar I own. Over my Knopfler and Haynes Les Pauls and historic SG.

Jon C

Gold Supporting Member
Nashville CS Historic ‘59 (first choice) or a primo selected Memphis VOS ‘59 (imo/ ime).

stickyFingerz

Silver Supporting Member
My 2016 Memphis ES-390 is a fine guitar, but it needed a lot of work. There was a fair amount sawdust inside the body when it went out of the box. The wiring was an ugly mess, the pickup shims were the wrong height and the covers mounted in the opposite direction.

I had a lot of tech-hours invested in this guitar, and it payed off big-time. But - out of the box - it looked like something built by prisoners rather than factory workers.

An employee at the same store bought an ES-330 recently (don't know where it was built). The nut on the trapeze tailpiece broke (one of two holding the bar that holds the strings). It wasn't screwed properly, I guess, and was rattling. It broke when he tried to fix it.

Of course neither of these is a 335. I guess you're good!

Last edited:

saltbird

When I buy a guitar I buy the one in my hands if it connects with me.
It means I can forget about what factory made it and what month and time of day and just decide if it is a good guitar.
It works with any manufacturer..............
A guitar in the hands is worth two with UPS or something like that.

Trending Topics