Any Cool Cat Post-Honeymoon Updates?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Wesman61, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

Just wondering if Anyone is still digging these. Particularly the OD and Distortion types.

2. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

Yes, still diggin' the chorus and Trans O/D very much!

3. Wesman61

Thanks. Both of those and the Drive have My interest. Being on a strict budget I've been looking at low cost options. A lot of new pedals get raves at first but then the blood letting comes.

4. enocaster

enocaster Member

I have a Trans OD that is great. It's got a hint of Vox-iness to it, or maybe it's Tweedyness… anyway it can add just a little bit of bite at low gain while still feeling very open. Mid-gain with an "in-between" setting on a Strat is very Radio City era Big Star - like fabric being ripped. At higher gain it just gets thicker. It doesn't do all of these things quite as good as higher-end pedals, but for $25 in the Emporium it's a stupendous value. I know they have different MO's - but as supposedly great, cheap OD's go, I am much more impressed with it than I was w/the Bad Monkey.

5. Jack

Jack Member

I'm really digging the vibe. I mean, get the boutique stuff if you want to cop exact Hendrix and Trower. Get this if you want something interesting, organic, usable pitch shift, organ sounds...I've owned a Mojo Vibe and a Voodoo Lab. All three are different.
    I like the lift in volume because, IMO, activating a vibe diminishes your ability to cut through a band mix.

Anybody try the fuzz? Where does it fit in the fuzz family.

6. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I have the Tremolo, and the Chorus and just got the Distortion in the mail. I have posted a bit on the Chorus and Trem already - really happy with those, especially the Chorus which is one of the best I've ever heard in terms of dedicated guitar effects. Trem is really sweet too.

The Distortion lives up to the marketing slogan "British amplifier in a box" - really has a good amount of usable gain and boost. Very JCM 800 or 900 sounding; at least when stacked on top of the slightly distorted OD channel in my amp; which is how I use dirt boxes. It's a little noisy - I'm still trying to get the balance between signal and noise right; but it is a pretty high gain pedal, so some op amp noise should be expected. It's a bit too much for my Teles though - bridge PUPs begin to squeal even at lower volumes. The pedal seems to work best with humbuckers.The taper of the gain knob is a tad finicky - seems to suddenly kick in after about a 5-10% traverse of the knob and then the taper becomes more linear. The bass and treble eq knobs on the Distortion are stacked together in the center position and they are difficult to turn and see IMO; but I've pretty much dialed in the sweet spot that works for a variety of guitars. The pedal has a lot of lower mids available through the bass eq dial. Top end is not harsh at all; pretty usable range. Nice sounding pedal for Hard Rock and Classic Metal tones - it's like having 80s Judas Priest sounds in a box.

Overall, I'm still really digging this Cool Cat line and the prices are bordering on stupidity - that's great for guitar players like me on a strict budget.

7. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    I have the fuzz, vibe, tremolo, drive. I like them all. The vibe boost the volume, and it takes half a second before the effect kicks in after you press the switch. Other than that, it's a sweet vibe.

The Tremolo is really great. I dig it a lot.

Heck all the Cool Cat pedals I've tried sound great!

The only thing I don't like is the location of the ins/outs.

8. EJW

EJW Member

Bought them... July-ish?
    Still dig the Chorus.
    Still dig the TransOD.
    No plans to replace them.
    Might get the vibe. (Do I need a vibe?)
    Wish they'd do a flanger.
    Wish they'd do a compressor.
    Wish the enclosures weren't silly.

9. ungarn

ungarn Member

Trans OD is a keeper...but the Vibe and Fuzz went back...

10. EJW

EJW Member

I actually like the rear ins/outs, but I also prefer boring rectangular enclosures with switches that are back-row accessible.

11. soulloud

soulloud Member

I have the fuzz. It is the first fuzz I have ever owned so I cant compare but I think it sounds pretty good. I have been running it after my red snapper with the drive turned way down & I get a very nice o/d way better than my fd2 or red snapper alone. May not be its intended use but it still sounds very nice.

12. hide

hide Member

Still digging the Trans OD. The 2 band eq works great to shape tone and the sound at max gain is not compressed like the fulldrive w/boost on.

13. enocaster

enocaster Member

Does anyone else find adjusting the settings a PITA? The knobs are too close together, and the concentric tone controls stick to each other - you have to hold the treble in place to move the bass, etc.

14. EJW

EJW Member

Yeah, the stacked knobs are less than friendly. Best thing to do is to set the inner one first, then set the outer one. Only plus is that you never accidentally turn them with your foot.

15. richey88

richey88 Member

Still digging the CC Fuzz.....took awhile to get what I liked controls are touchy.....great sound though!

I want a CC Chorus and TOD too......

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  16. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

They need a delay now.

17. Wesman61

I've been holding off getting some OD's but I think I might bite the bullet and get the Tranparent OD and the Drive. I have a Bad Monkey that sounds really good through My Crate VC but it's dodgey. These 2 might work well together. I thought The Hardwire Tube OD might be the answer but I'll have to compare them. I do dig the openness of the TOD though.

18. soulloud

soulloud Member

I have been thinking about checking out the vibe. How does it compare to more expencive vibe units?

19. richey88

richey88 Member

My CC fuzz did me proud at my gig tonight......battery was just starting to go on the last set, sounded cool as hell on Born to be Wild and War Pigs (our "big finish") Matched w/ my Epi Firebird (loose jack and all) and Crate V18 was fuzz heaven! Backed off the vol just a tad and pumped the leads w/ LPB-1.....rockin'!

20. Fauxkinbacker

Fauxkinbacker Member

The Tremolo is one of the best on the market right now at any price. Simple but very effective and versatile. It chills on top of my Champ sometimes for when slower songs need a little movement. I didn't try the Metal distortions, but everything seemed very nice in the store.
    And yes, they need to do a delay/echo and compressor.