Any CS-356 or 336 owners here?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dgassie, Jan 28, 2006.

1. dgassie

dgassie Member

I just got mine a few weeks ago and would love to compare notes. I guess the same would go for 336 owners too.

Dan

2. matte

matte Senior Member

Gibson sent me one from the first batch. I loved it. More air than a Lester and a faster attack than a dotmarker.

3. dgassie

dgassie Member

CoreyBox, I can't play well enough to post a soundclip but I can tell you it's wonderful! I had a few setup problems since I bought it from the Music Zoo in deep winter and brought it down to an incredibly hot summer in Chile. It feels good to play and the sound is like a 335 on steriods.

Dan

4. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

I've been lusting after a CS-356 for the last year and a half, and unfortunately I still have been unable to scrap up the $3k+ to get one. Whenever my income allows space for some new gear, a 356 is the first on my list (unless of course I can grab a Hist. '63 Reissue 335 for the same price!).

I played one at the Music Zoo back in April and I absolutely loved it. I'm more of a 335 guy than a Les Paul guy, but I definitely dig the hybrid tone of the two meshed together. Love the whole one piece routed body too!

5. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

I played one when they first came out, and loved it.
    I think i remember George4908 has one, and it sounded excellent.

6. lv

lv Supporting Member

+1, nice mix of LP and 335. I had one of the first 50's necked ones they did for Wildwood, got to pick out my top wood and everything, then sold it like an idiot. Only guitar I regret moving.

7. george4908

george4908 Member

>>I think i remember George4908 has one, and it sounded excellent.

Tom, you must be thinking of my Nickerson Skylark:

http://snipurl.com/m1ef

But I agree that CS-336s sound more or less in between a Les Paul and a 335, possibly shaded to the Lester side of the continuum. The one I played was a fine guitar and very tempting. Despite my distaste for Gibson the company, there's still a vibe about Gibson guitars that works for me (when you find a good one), and I've always liked '57 Classics. Interestingly, I was able to A/B the CS-336 against a Johnny A. signature, and despite the difference in scale length and back carve, they sounded damn near identical.

8. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

a little off topic, but thought id chime in...

i recently aqquired a 446s and it *sorta* has the same kinda constructions...as far as the one piece body being carved out ( although the 446 is completley hollow, w/ a carved spruce top) its a sick guitar indeed, and sometimes can sound like a big jazzbox.

ive played a couple 336's and 356's and they are really awesome guitars. if i had the scratch id have one in my stable fo' sho'

9. stratlad

stratlad Member

esoteric pete: Agree w/ you on the 446. Very different animal than the 336. A good one is a great guitar in my book. A seriously undervalued guitar:dude

336s are great too.

10. Den

Den Member

I absolutely love my Johnny A and get more compliments on my tone playing this than any guitar I've had in 40 years. Can't say exactly why, but after trying 356's, 336's and PRS Hollowbody's of various flavors, I was never totally happy enough to want to keep any of them. In two minutes with this JA, I knew I had found exactly what I was looking for, and then some. It's actually much more versatile than I expected. Maybe I lucked out and found a really good one ... just glad I did.

11. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I kind of like the regular production model 335 more than the 336. I have not played a 356 though they look great.

12. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

I bought a 336 when they first came out but couldn't get comfortable on the slim taper neck. That said, the guitar sounded great like a fatter, warmer 335 and the finish and build quality was excellent.

13. 59burst

59burst Gold Supporting Member

I've had both, and Matte's pithy analysis is pretty spot on. I have a Historic ES-335 as well as a Historic R8 (and I've had a bunch of R4,R7,R8,R9 over the years).

My CS-356 was custom ordered in natural with a flame top, and a fat 50's neck. It was outstanding in every way - perfect build quality, great variety of tones, stellar action - except one - it was neck heavy. Prior to ordering it, I had played some CS-336 examples and none were neck heavy. Perhaps the larger headstock was enough to tip the scales?

I recently purchased a CS-336 in amber with a flame maple top. It is also a great player with awesome tones to be had. It has the slimmer neck, and it is not neck heavy. Time will tell if I bond with the slimmer neck (it's not as thin as you might think), but it is a sweet axe.

If you have big hands, you might find access to the highest part of the fingerboard cramped by the cutaway. You should try it sitting down and standing up to determine if that is an issue. I have hands on the smaller side, but I definitely smack the inside of the cutaway on those rare occassions I venture up to frets 20-22. Fortunately, I spend most of my time below fret 15.

Cool guitars.

14. A440

A440 Supporting Member

yes, 356 owner here. I really like the warm, woody tones with this axe.

still undecided on the stock pickups. replacing them might be a bear, but I may tinker in the future:)

15. clayville

clayville Member

I've had my 356 since '03 and its my #1 guitar. Characterizations like "somewhere between an LP and a 335" are accurate, and to me there's nothing on either end of that scale that I miss (much). Its a very versatile guitar tone-wise. A great blues beastie.

What I responded to at first, sort of conceptually, was that 'in between' tone goal but also the body size. I'd never been able to bond with 335s because they're just too physically large for my body. The 336/356 is much closer in size to a lester than you might think, and mine (stoptail) only weighs 7.2 lbs.

Any of the tracks posted over here that have this guitar in the avatar used it, if you want some idea of what a hack like me can get them to do.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=239050

Oh, and it's a looker too:
    [​IMG]

16. phretbored

phretbored Member

Finally some pics...how about some more...Gibson is making some fantastic hollows these daze...show 'em off!

17. gitman

gitman Member

I have played my ES-345 ( vintage 1965 ) since i bought it in 1980 - after much thought and trials and errors i finally stopped taking it out on the road and bought a PRS HB-II as a replacement. while the HB is a great axe and very versatile i still miss that specific ES vibe ... and have been looking hard at these new Gibson CS models. unfortunately i have yet not had the chance to take one of these for a testdrive - they just don't show up in stores over here and the Gibson booth at the Frankfurt Music Fair was always so swamped with groupies that i could only look, not touch :-( has anybody here any hands-on experience with both guitars and could he/she post their findings ? also, how does the addition of the Bigsby on the CS-356 affect the sound of that guitar ( i.e. is it much different to one without a Bigsby ? ) thanks !

18. clayville

clayville Member

gitman: I can't really help with either of your queries firsthand, but if the woody, jazz end of the ES tone scale is what you're missing, I don't think my 356 will get all the way to it. Just 90% of the way on the neck pickup, which is enough for me. I haven't had a chance to compare a stoptail and bigsby side-by-side, but because of the large amount of of solid mahogany/maple that remains after the center rout on these, I imagine the bigs to no bigs comparison would be more like it would be on an LP/solidbody than like an archtop/ES. If that makes any sense.

Here's another shot of mine and one I've saved that shows a 335 side-by-side with a 336 for the size comparison:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. A440

A440 Supporting Member

here's a pic of mine

[​IMG]