Any custom pickup guys do non vintage stuff?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by buddastrat, Oct 8, 2008.

1. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

It seems all the pickup gurus focus on the vintage thing, which is cool, and Lord knows there's a zillion of them. Does anyone know of guys that do other types? Like stacks or single coil size buckers for strats. It seems there's only Duncan/Dimarzio and that's pretty much it.

2. robyogi

robyogi Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, it's strange how the "boutique" manufacturers work in the guitar world. In other industries, boutiques often offer innovations or cutting edge stuff. It's tough to find that in the guitar world. Seems we guitarists, as consumers, are a conservative/traditionalist bunch. Anyway, there are quite a few that make hotter humbuckers (Smit's, WCR, WB, Anderson, Tyler, Motor City, to name few). There seem to be fewer making single coil sized buckers or stacks. Only ones I know of are Kinman, Barden, Tom Anderson, and Kent Armstrong. (EDIT: Oh yeah, and Curtis Novak will probably wind his hum-cancelling design for a strat. EDIT to the EDIT: Guess not.)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  3. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Thanks Rob, great suggestions.

4. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

That's a great observation. It could be that the more R+D the winders do, the more they uncover the "magic" of vintage winds. For awhile in the 70's everything was hot, hot and hotter. Common tone wisdom now says hot equals more mids less high end sparkle. Many players, myself included, fell hot pickups lack the charcter we hear in vintage recordings. Scatter winds are now very popular with winders. I think they've actually advanced what was a happy accident into a art. In some ways the "vintage" wound pickups of today are much different than actual vintage pickups. Ths choices are definitely staggering.

5. AmpliFIRE

AmpliFIRE Supporting Member

WCR has the Iron Man if you're looking for something modern sounding. I've got their Goodwood/Darkburst set in my R8 and I couldn't be happier...

http://www.wcrguitar.com/

6. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

He just told me that he doesn't do the HC strat pickup, only tele bridge pickup. :cry: I don't know why but I so wish he'd do it in the near future.

[​IMG][​IMG]

That is how a humbucking single coil should be made.

7. Knuckles

Knuckles Member

Might be patent issues at work as well. May be tough to design a pickup outside the parameters the big guys have patents on.

8. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

yeah I wrote him too on that. too bad : (

9. robyogi

robyogi Silver Supporting Member

Bummer. Wonder why he doesn't make it for strats. I've got the HC tele pickup being put into my tele right now. Can't wait to get it back and see what it sounds like.

10. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Please do report back! Thanks.