1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Any dealers have a Kalamazoo?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BradB41, May 19, 2011.

1. BradB41

BradB41 Member

My usual prospects are all out...Tone Factor, PGS, and Music Toyz. Anyone know a dealer that might have these in stock?

2. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

3. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

4. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

5. Csgband

Csgband Member

Moved to Austin, formerly from Brooklyn, NY
    Love pedal site has the gold one, I got mine a couple weeks back,
    Really great pedal
    Chris

6. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

I exhausted all avenues as well and finally just picked a used one up off ebay. got it yesterday. Very cool pedal. Very klon like. I wanna try it with the 18volt power supply like in the PGS videos. Makes me wanna hear the gold one as well.

7. mcboyle

mcboyle Member

for future reference if you just sign up for the mailing list you can be notified by PGS when theyre in stock. im in the same boat right now. i want one so bad.

8. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

There's a demo comparing the two on youtube somewhere. I own a chrome version but haven't gotten my hands on the spanish gold version yet...so take this with a grain of salt. But from the demos...the gold version sounds almost like it has too much headroom. Part of the reason why I like the chrome version is the fact that it has more gain on tap...and if you wanted more headroom/clarity, you could just bump up the voltage. The gain knob on the gold set to noon sounds like the gain knob on the chrome set to 9 o'clock...and this is at a standard 9v I believe. If that's what you are looking for then kudos - it's not much more expensive than the stock chrome version so I suppose it's worth the extra coin if you want it now.

Tonally speaking, they are pretty much the same, in spite of the higher headroom. I will say though with the chrome version, bumping up the voltage makes a real big difference. In addition to the standard higher fidelity, headroom, and clarity that you would get increasing the voltage on other overdrives, the Kalamazoo actually gets smoother. At 16v-18v, it's the perfect rhythm overdrive tone for me. Smoother sounding overdrive with just a bit of bite to give it some growl on lead work.