Any Deluxe Reverb owners use both channels?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bradw, Jun 27, 2008.

1. bradw

bradw Member

I have a DRRI and use the Normal Channel almost all of the time. I tend to play with overdriven/distortion tone and found that the Vibrato channel is a bit on the fizzy side, eventhough I have done the C10 mod.

However, I almost feel like I'm cheating myself by not using the entire offering of the amp, as the reverb/vibrato channel is too good to waste, and would like to use it during songs that require a bit more clean tone.

So, for those of you that use both channels, how do you do it? Do you use an A/B switch at the end of your pedal chain with two cables going back to the amp? Or, do you use an A/B switch at the front of the chain and have two distictly different signal paths through your pedalboard?

Let's hear it.

And, thanks!

2. Daniel-San

Daniel-San Member

I don't have a DRRI but a Twin reverb...same thing input-wise.
    When I did use the Normal channel I used an A/B box just before the amp. Worked good.

3. bradw

bradw Member

42 views and only 1 response?

Does this mean everyone uses only 1 channel or was my question more of a "duh, yes an A/B box is what you want."

4. dsl

dsl Member

So far (2 years) I've only used the Normal Channel - it just sounds better.

I have a Morley Tripler so what I would do is just put that after the last pedal.

I may give it a shot...maybe :cool:

5. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

I gave this some thought a while back and decided to go the A/B switch route. I run all my dirt pedals into the normal channel (except for the OCD which I run into both channels), and have an A/B switch so I can use the Vibrato channel for those sparkly clean sounds and make use of the reverb these amps are so famous for.
    A while back someone suggested using a Tuner pedal as an A/B switch (think it was the Korg DT-10 with the seperate "bypass" output). Anyway, I never tried it and decided to just buy a dedicated A/B switch (some un-branded homemade thing off Ebay) and it works a treat!

6. bradw

bradw Member

OK. Thanks guys.

smogfalls ... so, do you have your A/B switch on your board and rune two 20 foot cables back to the amp or do you have the switch close to the amp to save money on expensive guitar cables?

7. giggedy

giggedy Member

for those who say the normal channel is better, how can you make the other channel sound that good so that the reverb is still available?

8. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

Yeah unfortunately I have to have the A/B switch on the board and run long cables back to the amps. I use the Boss LS-2 so I can switch 3 ways (for big gigs only... each channel on the Deluxe Reverb, and my Marshall JCM Slash half stack.
    Usually I just use the A/B mode though with my Deluxe Reverb as my only amp.

9. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

10. sqadan

sqadan Member

I lean on the Normal channel for OD stuff and the Vibrato channel for cleans... I get the fizzies at lower volumes with OD on the Vib channel. I'm sure the bright cap removal helps... I have heard many say the stock speaker is also a culprit... Darker sounding tubes can also help do away with the fizzies.

11. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

I've always wondered about the speaker, but I know bugger-all about that sort of modification. What speaker would you advise to change the stock one for?

12. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

For the 2 channels on my Princeton, I have channel 1 as the dry (best direct clean tone) and channel 2 as the wet (channel 2 is a bit softer anyhow, might as well effect it up).

Both are plugged into an Ernie Ball Pan/Volume Wah. On Pan, you can do the extremely cool thing of using a Deluxe Memory Man on infinite sustain/modulation with a long delay, play a quick passage, then pan over to your dry channel. Since the DMM is between your Pan pedal and the amp, the DMM will keep going, it won't stop, trail out, or anything - and it won't get any new signal from your guitar to mess up your inputted riff.

Now that you're panned over to dry tho, you can riff clean over the DMM repeating riff, and even switch up anything before the Pan pedal to help you out - say if you want to add fuzz, or a phaser, or wah, whatever.

This is a killer combo, and I wish I thought of it sooner. Take advantage of the fact that you have two separate inputs going into your amp!

13. sqadan

sqadan Member

Cannabis Rex seems to be a popular replacement...

Weber 12F150 is another...

Speaker replacement can make a huge difference.

14. giggedy

giggedy Member

I put the rex in my drri, I like it a lot.

15. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

cool, I just checked out a price on the Rex...only £40!...not bad. Is it easy enough to swap em' round yourself? Or do I need to take it to a pro?

16. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Silver Supporting Member

swap it out yourself...easy peasy...

17. giggedy

giggedy Member

I had never done it before and did it by myself. Be careful though, if you touch the caps you can die. You have to take the back off, and the amp slightly out of the cab in order to switch them out.

18. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Silver Supporting Member

play your amp and then unplug it from the wall...keep playing until the sound dies and the caps should be discharged...then flip the power switch off while leaving the standby in the on position...

19. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

cool, cheers for the advice dudes. I'm gonna order me that cannabis! Oh, and sorry to derail the thread somewhat! ;)

20. giggedy

giggedy Member

I wondered how to do that. I just made sure I was extremely careful. Thanks Shred!